Are you seeing a No DisplayPort Connection error on your Oculus Rift S? Are you having connection issues either with your headset or DisplayPort? Well, then you have come to the right place.
Why is my Oculus display not working?
You won’t be worrying about your DisplayPort much longer because I have spent several hours collecting all the simplest and most reliable methods in one place.
I know you can’t wait much longer so just grab your daily dose of caffeine and just bear with me till the end of this article. Just don’t skip any part because that will only confuse you later.
Can You Use DisplayPort for Oculus Rift S?
This means that there can be issues with the mini DisplayPort connection if you use any third-party adapters in place of the one provided in the box.
Speaking of third-party adapters, Oculus Rift S also doesn’t support using them with HDMI or USB C as well. So, it’s very important for you to get a laptop that has a DisplayPort port because if it doesn’t there is no workaround that will help you connect an Oculus Rift S.
I have tried using an adapter that lets you convert DisplayPort to HDMI myself and the results were exactly what I expected. It simply did not work at all. On the other hand, the results were quite opposite when I tested a USB C to DisplayPort adapter.
There were absolutely no issues and the Oculus software assumed I was using a DisplayPort connection instead of USB C.
Here’s a complete guide on how to Fix VR Black Screen.
How To Fix Oculus Rift S DisplayPort Not Working?
Now that some of your doubts and confusions have been cleared, let’s focus on the main reason you came here. Keep in mind that most of these fixes won’t work for you but you will just have to be patient until you find the perfect one.
Here are the methods to fix Oculus Rift S DisplayPort not working:
1. Reboot Your Oculus Rift S
I know this sounds stupid and it might not even work but a simple reboot has actually fixed the issue for several users.
If you don’t know how you should reboot, here are the steps:
- Turn off the screen of the Oculus headset by pressing the power button.
- Close the Oculus application on your PC completely.
- Disconnect the headset.
Have some time to spare? Quickly check out our epic guide on how to Fix a Blurry VR Headset.
2. Reinstall Oculus Application
I have used the Oculus application for years and I haven’t faced any major issues till now but that does not mean it is completely bug-free.
Like every program out there, it can also have unexpected issues which might cause problems with the DisplayPort connection.
Here are the steps to reinstall the Oculus application from your PC:
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard and type Control Panel. Click on the first result.
- Switch the Control Panel view to Category view and click on Uninstall a Program.
- Scroll down and select the Oculus application when you see it. Then, click on the Uninstall application in the top left corner.
- Follow the instructions and click Yes if it asks for a confirmation.
- After the uninstallation is completed, launch This PC and navigate to ProgramFiles/Oculus, and delete the Oculus folder from there. If you don’t see the folder, look for it in ProgramFiles(x86).
- Reboot your PC.
- After the restart, download the latest Oculus setup from the official website and install it.
Check our separate post for Fix PSVR Headset flickering.
3. Update or Reinstall Video Drivers
If your DisplayPort drivers are out-of-date, you will definitely be experiencing various issues. If that doesn’t work, you can try reinstalling the drivers manually to fix the issue.
If you have an NVIDIA graphics card, you can use the official NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort to update the drivers. For other users, I recommend using third-party software to update the drivers.
IObit Driver Booster and DriverEasy are my preferred tools for this job.
4. Disable Power Management USB Suspend
Windows has an annoying feature built-in that automatically turns off a few USB devices after a while to save power. There’s a good chance that this could be the reason you are seeing the DisplayPort connection error.
Here are the steps to disable USB power management or selective suspend:
- Launch Control Panel by searching for it in the Windows Start menu.
- Switch to Category View and click on Hardware and Sound.
- On the next page, click on Power Options.
- Look for the plan that you are currently using and click on Change plan settings.
- Click on Change Advanced Power Settings and then expand the USB settings and USB selective suspend setting by clicking the plus sign next to it. Toggle both the settings to disabled.
- Don’t forget to save the changes by clicking OK. Then, reconnect eh Oculus Rift S and see if the issue is fixed now.
All you have to do is go through our latest how to Clean VR Headset Foam.
5. Disconnect All Other USB Devices
A few users have reported that their DisplayPort connection started working normally as soon as they removed all the remaining unimportant USB devices from the computer.
There isn’t any logical explanation for this but it seems to have worked so it’s worth a shot.
6. Test With A Different PC
There could be a chance that your ports or connectors might be damaged so in order to test that, I recommend connecting the Oculus Rift S to your friend’s computer.
Keep in mind that you should test the connection for at least 30 minutes to make sure the issue doesn’t appear late. If there are DisplayPort connection issues with the other PC as well, then there could be a problem with the Oculus headset.
If that’s the case, I recommend contacting Oculus Support from their website and sharing your test results and issues.
Otherwise, if there doesn’t seem to be any problems with DisplayPort in the PC, you might need to get your computer checked out for hardware issues.
Check out our separate post on how to Focus VR Headset.
Question: Does Oculus Rift work with HDMI to DisplayPort?
Answer: No, Oculus Rift does not work with HDMI to DisplayPort because it supports HDMI directly. The Oculus Rift S, on the other hand, uses DisplayPort but it still doesn’t support HDMI to DisplayPort.
Question: Why does my Oculus only show a black screen?
Answer: Your Oculus only shows a black screen because it doesn’t have enough charge or the batteries are dead. If you disconnected the Oculus headset while it was installing some major firmware updates, that could lead to a black screen too.
Question: What ports do you need for Oculus Rift S?
Answer: The ports you need for Oculus Rift S include only the USB 3.0 and DisplayPort. You might notice that this is an improvement from the original Rift which required two ports for the headset and one or two additional ports.
Question: Does Oculus Rift S work with a laptop?
Answer: Yes, Oculus Rift S works with a laptop. You just have to make sure that your laptop includes a mini DisplayPort because Oculus Rift S won’t work without it. I recommend getting an Oculus Ready Certified PC if you want perfect compatibility.
The Oculus Rift S DisplayPort issue is pretty common so you are definitely not the only one who is facing this issue. That is not a bad thing, in my opinion, because it is likely that Oculus will eliminate this issue with a future firmware update.
Until then, you just have to use one of the methods I talked about to fix the problem for now. I hope you learned something reading this article and you can always reach us whenever you have a question.