Fix: Application has been Blocked from Accessing Graphics Hardware
Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware is an error message seen mostly while playing or opening a game.
If you are a gamer, it must be a very frustrating time for you right now.
It’s true that:
Windows 10 after its update has a hell lot of issues to deal with and this error is one of them.
But you shouldn’t be worried as you will get all the relevant fixes for this issue in this post.
What is meant by Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware?
Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware, is mainly a graphics hardware based issue which disallows the usage of it in a system. It is mostly related to games and often cause by bugs within system.
You might question:
When does it happen?
You might notice this problem whenever you are trying to run a game in your PC or trying to play any online game using your browser.
It is a very disgusting experience for every gamer to face such a problem.
Want to know the reasons behind this error?
Then follow me to the next part.
Why Does Application has been Blocked Error Pop Up?
To be very honest, the actual reasons behind this error are a bit vague.
But from the personal experience of various users what I can conclude is this error occurs whenever there is an issue with the compatibility of the graphics driver.
Adding to that:
There can also be problems regarding the update of driver or the functions of GPU.
But whatever might be the reasons, the issue can be fixed that too by yourself. You just stay tuned to this blog and follow every instruction very carefully.
Sometimes this problem may also occur for not setting your monitor to it's proper refresh rate.
Fix for Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware
I know that as a gamer it has been a very annoying experience for you as you aren’t able play your favorite game.
You aren’t also used to face this sort of error.
So, I will not waste much of your time here. Let us just get into the process so that you can play your favorite game again.
Step-1: Reinstall the graphics drivers
Uninstalling your existing graphics drivers and then again reinstalling them might help you to solve the problem.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Go to the search bar and type Device Manager, then click on the search result.
- Now once you navigate into a new window, scroll down and click on display adapter to expand it.
- After that, right click on your graphics card and then choose to uninstall it.
- For reinstalling the driver now choose Scan for Hardware changes and then restart your system.
Step-2: Use System File Checker
System file checker is basically used to repair the corrupt files within the system.
Now, you might be wondering:
Why I need to use System file checker for this error?
The answer is there might be some files which might be corrupted in the graphic system.
What System file checker (SFC) can do is fix those files so that you don’t face the error anymore.
Here’s what you have to do-
- On the Search option, type command prompt and then click on it.
- Now type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and hit enter.
- Then type sfc /scannow and hit Enter. Your system will be scanned and issues will be fixed if there is any.
- Restart your system and see if it fixes your problem or not.
Step-3: Go for System restore point
Before you go through this process, there might be a genuine query of you about System restore point.
So, what is system restore point?
Well it is a feature that offers you to turn back your system’s state to what it was before mainly for repairing any malfunction.
To do so what you can do is:
- In the search bar type Run and then open it.
- In the dialogue box, type “rstrui” and hit enter.
- Now you will see a window, where you have to click on Next.
- If the window has Show more restore option then click on it.
- Now choose your preferred restore point and then click on next to end the process.
Again if you are using a Nvidia graphics card and facing errors then check out our separate post on Fix for Nvidia Driver Errors.
Step-4: Enable Access of Applications to the Graphics Card.
If all of the above processes fails to solve your problem then you can try this one last resort.
By enabling the access of applications to the graphics can really help to fix this issue in almost no time.
Here’s how you can do it:
1. Go to search option and type settings, the click on it.
2. You will now automatically navigate to the settings window, then click on system.
3. After that, click the display option then scroll down again click on the graphics settings link.
4. Now choose the app you prefer, in case you can’t find it then go for Classic App and then click on Browse option.
5. Now go to your preferred application then select and open it.
6. When the app is being added in the list, just click on it.
7. Now you have to click on the options and choose High Performance and then save it.
8. Now to apply the changes reboot the system.
Also check out how to fix your nvidia control panel missing issues.
Step-5: Clean the fan of your device
The fan of your PC is a very vital part of the whole device.
You might ask:
Well the reason is, if your fan doesn’t really work that much properly it is a very serious as it affects the overall performance of the PC.
Now, if there is an issue with the fan like something got stuck in it or a lot of dust is there on its blades, then what will happen is it will slow it down.
Want to know worst part?
It might result in overheating of the PC which will eventually cause problems to your graphics drivers.
A very complicated situation. Isn’t it?
Well, you can solve it very easily, no technical expertise is required.
The things that you need to do is:
1. Open up your device.
2. Take a vaccum cleaner and use it to clean the dust inside your device.
3. Then to clean the nook and corners, try to use cotton buds.
Question: What is system restore point?
Answer: Usually this is a feature in your system that enables you to turn back to the systems previous state like what it was before any malfunction.
Question: How to fix application has been blocked from accessing the graphics hardware?
Answer: You can try the options like reinstalling your graphics drivers, run system file checker, enable the access of applications to the graphics card or cleanup the fan of your PC, as like I have mentioned in the blog.
Question: Why does application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware occur?
Answer: This issue is mainly related to the graphics drivers regarding its compatibility or else there might be issues with the GPU.
Not being able to play your favorite game is a very frustrating issue for anyone especially for a die-hard gamer.
If you are one, then this blog will help you to mitigate all your worries. I have provided all the relevant fixes that you can try out yourself to solve the problem.
Still, if you face any issues feel free to ask in the comments below.