The PlayStation 4 is still kicking in the console market even after almost a decade later of its initial release.
For example, you can easily run God of War Ragnarök, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, or Horizon Forbidden West–games Sony heavily used to promote their next generation PS5 console in PlayStation 4 with decent locked 30 FPS.
But as PS4 gets older with time, users are frequently facing the Loud fan issue. However, the PS4 isn’t out of the game yet, and the fan issue isn’t hard to solve. Just apply the fixes in this article, and you are good to go.
Why Is Your PlayStation 4 Fan So Loud?
Usually, the cooling fans of your PlayStation 4 make a grinding noise when they don’t get proper airflow through their vents. Also, Developers still release games for PS4 even in 2023, but they [put extra pressure on your PS4. So the cooling fan has to run faster to control heat, which increases noise.
Also, there are other reasons that can make your PlayStation 4 fan ridiculously loud, such as:
- You are covering your plantation with a cloth or something else to keep the dust away. But it blocks the air vents, so the cooling fans are spinning louder to get more airflow.
- The air vents or the fans are covered with dust, so fan rotors make more noise than normal.
- The fan became faulty because of some technical faults.
- You are running hardware-demanding games on your PS4 console so that the fan has to spin faster to make it cooler. That’s why you are hearing an extremely loud noise from your PS fan.
These are the core reasons why you are hearing whirring sounds from your PlayStation 4 cooling fans. But it’s very easy to solve. Read the following section to reduce the fan noise of your PlayStation 4.
How To Make Your PlayStation 4 Fan Quieter
To make your PS4 fan quieter, first place the device in a well-ventilated area vertically and don’t cover it with anything. It will ensure proper airflow, and the fan noise will reduce. If that doesn’t solve your problem, try cleaning the device with compressed air.
If that doesn’t solve your issue, you have to open up your PlayStation 4 console and clean it manually. Follow the next section to get a detailed walkthrough for each fix.
Here are the methods to make your PlayStation 4 fan quiet:
1. Keep Your PS4 in a Ventilated Area
Usually, when your PlayStation gets hot, the fan spins faster. So you start hearing noise from the Fans. To fix that, you need to place your PS4 console in a well-ventilated area and don’t cover it with objects or clutter its surroundings.
If it gets too hot and the fan gets loud, remove any obstructions and wait for it to cool down.
Note: You must not put your PS4 console in a cabinet as it restricts airflow, which can lead to overheating.
2. Place the PS4 Vertically
Typically, most PS4 users place their PS4 console horizontally, which creates more noise. So You should place your PS4 console vertically to reduce the console’s noise levels.
3. Use Compressed Air To Clean Your PS4
If the above fixes don’t reduce your PS4’s fan noise, It has too much dust on it. So you need to clean your device. And then, for this cleaning process, you need to use a compressed air can.
Use these steps to clean Your PS4 with Compressed Air:
- Select any compressed air from any shop.
- Make sure your PS4 is turned off and unplugged to avoid any electrical hazards.
- Hold the can upright and gently insert the nozzle into all the inputs (USB ports, HDMI port, etc.) and vents on the PS4.
- Apply short bursts to blow away any dust inside the inputs and vents.
- Move the compressed air can around the console while bursting.
- Give special attention to the intake and exhaust vents of your PS4.
- Wait for some time after cleaning before turning on the PS4.
After completing the steps, your fan noise will reduce.
Caution: You must not use a vacuum to clean your PS4 because the vacuum cleaner can cause permanent damage to your PS4.
4. Open Your PS4 Console To Clean It Out
If the Compressed Air cleaning method doesn’t rescue the fan noise, you should open your PS4 to clean it thoroughly.
Note: When you open your PS4 console, you will lose its warranty. So if you buy the new console and you still have a warranty, you should avoid this method. Instead, you should go to the Sony service center and get their free service.
Follow these steps to Open Your PS4 Console and clean it:
- Unscrew the four screws from the back of your PS4 console using a T8 or T9 Torx screwdriver.
- Locate the fan in the console.
- Clean it using a cotton cloth.
- Plug in the screw again and Power on your PS4 again.
After completing the steps, your fan will start running quieter than previous.
5. Change the Cooling Fan
If your fan still makes a huge noise after cleaning thoroughly, the router or the other components of your PS4’s cooling fan become worn out. In that case, you should replace your PS4 fan. Go to Sony’s service center and change the fan of your console.
These are the five fixes for your PS4’s loud fan. And after completing the fixes, you can enjoy a noise-free gaming experience with your PS4.
You can also reset your PS4 as a last resort to decrease the fan spinning.
How do I know if my PS4 fan is bad?
To know your PS4’s fan condition, try to spin the fan using your finger and see if it spins freely. If something blocks the free spin, your fan is faulty.
Does the PS4 need additional cooling fans?
No, your console has a great built-in cooling system which is very much capable of handling the heat. So you don’t need additional cooling fans.
Can I replace my PS4 fan?
Yes, you can easily replace your PS4 fan and even by yourself. But I recommend you go to the Sony service center to get the best quality service and components.
In short, the PS4 loud fan issue happens when something blocks the airflow of your device or the fan becomes worn out or faulty. To solve this problem, you should first please the device vertically in a well-ventilated area. Then clean the device with a Compressed Air solution.
If that doesn’t solve your issue, you should open the device and clean the fan manually.
After applying all the fixes, I’m sure your loud fan issue is solved. Comment if you face difficulties during any process. And for everything else, stick with 10 Scopes.