Not all users have high-end computer configurations. That’s the reason why they are compelled to minimize the number of programs running at once. Hence, this lets to a smooth use of their existing resources.
Some may argue with me saying, it may benefit some users; nevertheless, the users who hardly use Spotify get annoyed at the repeated opening immediately after every start of the system. To preserve the memory and space, they need to close the application manually every time.
Don’t you consider it a hassle for a number of users? Should there not be an alternative for those who do not want to open Spotify on Startup?
Well. If you are a victim of this issue, you no longer need to be tense. As a tech expert, I will enlighten you with a couple of plain solutions that you will surely find as easy as ABC.
So, let’s not waste more time but, here I have a request. Please, read the entire article carefully; do not skip any segment as it will vanish all your doubts.
Also, check out our separate post on how to change equalizer on Spotify PC.
How to Disable Spotify Opening on Startup | Windows
As a user, you do not always make Spotify ready to play. So, to change the settings of the application itself and in Windows also, you need to go through the following methods with concise steps.
Here are the methods to disable Spotify opening on startup on Windows:
1. Change Spotify Settings
You can stop the app from opening on startup by slightly changing the settings. Let’s see this in detail.
- Launch the application from the Start button.
- Go to the Settings of Spotify. You can just click on the 3 horizontal dots icon at the top-left corner of the application window, and a dropdown will show up.
- Click on Edit. Another sub-menu will come.
- Choose Preferences from the options. You can also use the shortcut of Ctrl+P. Now, you will be redirected to the Settings
- Hit the Show Advanced Settings It is located at the middle-bottom of the window above the Log out button.
- Click on the dropdown arrow of Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer You will get this option under Startup and Window Behaviour.
- Choose No from the options that appeared.
- Close the application.
You are done with this method. Now, restart your computer and check if the changes you made are in action.
Also, check out our separate post on fix Spotify waiting to download issue.
2. Change using Windows Task Manager
You know, Task Manager often results in godsend advantages for Windows users. All the application-related control or monitor lie here. So, using this, you can restrict the hardly-used programs from launching on the startup.
Here are the steps to disable the automatic startup of Spotify with the Windows built-in Task Manager:
- Open the Task Manager Alternatively, you can press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to move to the window promptly.
- Navigate to the Startup A list of all programs launched on the system’s startup will appear.
- Locate the Spotify application from the list, and click on it. A button Disable will turn up.
- Click on the Disable button at the bottom-right corner of the Task Manager
- Close the Task Manager.
This will stop the automatic launch of Spotify. You can control other unnecessary applications from launching on the startup on the window. That’s it.
The bottom line is, you cannot find any Startup tab on the Task Manager on Windows 7. This method is merely applicable to Windows 8 or higher.
Check out the easiest way to add an entire playlist to another playlist Spotify.
But, as long as I am committed to supporting you, you do not need to worry about this. I will illustrate a full-proof process specifically for Windows 7 users right now. Are you happy now?
Let’s dive into the process.
Here are the steps to disable or change any startup program on Windows 7:
- Click on the Start You will get a search field to find out the programs and files installed.
- Type msconfig in the field and hit Enter. The System Configuration window will open.
- Find out the Startup tab at the top and click on it. It lies between Services and Tools. This will give you a list of all the items on your computer that launch when Windows starts.
- Deselect the check box next to Spotify to prevent this program from running at the startup.
- Go through the list and uncheck all the programs that you want to stop running on the start. Note: Don’t uncheck anything that you don’t know what it is. This will keep you safe from any unneeded hazards.
- Click on OK at the bottom of the pop-up window when you are done with this process.
- Tap on the option Exit without restart if you have other programs open on your computer. If not, I recommend you click on Restart.
The changes will not be applied and visible until the next time you restart your machine. This is how to disable startup programs, i.e., Spotify in Windows 7.
After a restart, you should see Spotify no longer load at the startup. And, this way mentioned can be great to speed up the booting of your computer.
Please, let me know what happened to you.
Follow our guide to know what is listening activity on Spotify.
How to Disable Spotify Opening on Startup | Mac
1. Change Spotify Settings
If you are a Spotify user on macOS, Spotify will be launched every time whenever you start your mac computer. Fortunately, there are ways to resolve the issue. And, I am going to discuss this.
Here are the methods to disable Spotify on startup on macOS:
- Launch the Spotify program on your Mac computer.
- Click on Spotify right beside the apple icon. A dropdown menu will show up.
- Click on Preferences from the options.
- Scroll a bit down the page of Settings.
- Tap on the Show Advanced Settings button at the bottom.
- Scroll down again, and you will get an option Open Spotify automatically when you log into the computer.
- Click on the arrow and set it to No.
- Close the window, and restart your computer to check if the problem persists.
Also, check out our separate post to fix Spotify no internet connection.
2. Change from System Preferences
Like Task Manager in Windows, you will get System Preferences in macOS. So, why not take advantage of this, and solve your problems within the wink of your eyes?
Here are the steps to stop Spotify from opening on the start using System Preferences:
- Open the System Preferences window on your Mac.
- Locate the app Users & Groups from the menu, and click on it.
- Go to the Login Items tab that you will find at the top.
- Tap on the Plus sign (+) at the bottom.
- Choose Applications from the left pane.
- Find out the Spotify
- Click on the Add button at the bottom-right of the window.
- Make sure the box under the Hide column for Spotify is checked.
The macOS now hid Spotify from its startup programs.
Follow our guide to fix Spotify stuttering on android devices.
Why does Spotify always open when I turn on my PC?
Spotify opens when you turn your PC on because it is automatically set this way by default. The application wants to be at your convenience, but not always the comfort is satisfactory. Therefore, as I mentioned above, you can customize the startup settings according to your preference.
Why do all my apps open when I start my Mac?
Even after performing the steps regarding the procedures I stated, if you still face some or all programs open when you start your Mac, that clearly indicates that the programs are hidden. And, without your consent, they all are set to launch at startup.
To wrap up, I summarised the simplest and easy-to-perform methods to solve your problems from the root. All approaches are equally fantastic, and those are well-proven and tested.
Hope you will be capable of preventing Spotify from launching at the start. Thus, a certain amount of space and memory will be free, which will speed up the operations of your computer with other programs.
Was this article helpful? Comment in the box below to let me know whether or not my objectives are successful. Do leave messages if you have any further queries.