An additional Microsoft administration account can save you when you forget the login password. Plus, an extra admin account is handy when another admin is required.
But you might want to delete an administration account for some unusual cases. This guide is all you need if you want to remove any misbehaving administrator account.
How to Delete an Administrator Account from Windows 11
You can delete an administration account directly from Windows Settings > Accounts > Family & other users. Go to the Other users section and select the admin account. Now, click on the Remove button. Then select the Delete account and data button from the prompt.
Not only from the Windows Settings app, you can also delete any administration account from Windows 11 using the Control Panel, Command Prompt, PowerShell, and many more. Let me show you all one by one with quick steps.
Note: Before deleting an admin account, ensure you have already added another Microsoft account and changed its account to Administrator type. Also, keep a backup of all the account-associated files because removing the account will delete the files too.
1. Delete Windows 11 Admin Account from Settings
Removing Windows 11 administration account from the Windows Settings is the quickest way. But make sure you already have another admin account. If you don’t have one, you must add a user account before deleting the admin account.
- Press Windows 🪟 key + I to launch Windows Settings.
- Click on Accounts from the left pane.
- Select the Family & other users option from the right pane.
- Look for the Other users section and click on the admin account that you want to delete.
- Click the Account and data section’s Remove button.
- Select the Delete account and data button from the account deletion prompt.
Moreover, if you don’t know how to create another user account before deleting the admin account, follow the below steps.
- Launch the Windows app.
- Navigate to Accounts > Family & other users.
- Click on the Add account under the Other users section.
- Enter the email address and hit Next.
Once the account is created, you can change the account type from the Standard user to the Administrator account. Just click on the Change account type button and select the Administrator option. Then click OK.
2. Remove Windows 11 Admin Account from Control Panel
You can also delete an admin account from the Windows Control Panel app. Just go to the Control Panel and select the User accounts section. From there, you can remove any admin account. Let’s see the entire procedure in steps.
- Go to Windows search and search for the control panel.
- Click on the app from the search result to launch it.
- Select the User accounts > Manage another account.
- Click the account that you want to delete.
- Select the Delete the account button.
- Click on the Delete Files button to delete all associated with the account or click Keep Files button to save the account-related files to the PC.
- Select the Delete account button to finish the deleting admin account process.
Done! You’ve successfully deleted a Microsoft admin account from your Windows 11 OS.
Apart from removing the admin account, you can create a guest account in Windows 11. So that family members can use the PC by logging into that account instead of yours.
3. Delete Windows 11 Admin Account from Computer Management
Deleting Windows 11 user accounts from the Computer Management app is also possible, and the procedure is pretty simple.
- Press Windows 🪟key + S and search for computer management.
- Launch the app from the search result.
- Click to expand the Local User and Groups from the left pane.
- Select the Users folder.
- Right-click on the account and select Delete from the context menu.
- Select Yes to confirm the deletion process.
That’s it. You won’t find the admin account in the user accounts list you deleted.
4. Remove Admin Account from the Uses Account Dialog
You can use the legacy User Account dialog to delete any user account from Windows 11. Just summon the dialog box through the Run command. Then delete the account from there.
- Press Windows 🪟 key + R to initiate the Run command box.
- Type in netplwiz in the command box and hit Enter.
- Select the account from the accounts list.
- Click on the Remove button.
- Hit Yes > OK to complete the account removal process.
5. Use the Command Prompt or CMD to Delete Windows 11 Admin Account
You can use the cmd or command prompt with the admin rights to remove any Windows 11 user account, including the administrator one. Follow these steps to see how it’s done.
- Press Windows 🪟 key + R and type cmd in the command box.
- Hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter to launch the cmd with admin rights.
- Select the Yes button from the UAC prompt.
- Type in net user in the cmd and press Enter.
All user accounts will now show as a list in the cmd terminal. Look for the account name that you want to delete.
- Type in type net user USERNAME /delete. For example, net user newuser /delete.
- Hit Enter button to initiate the deleting process.
After that, the account will get deleted from your Windows 11 PC.
6. Use the PowerShell or Terminal to Remove Windows 11 Admin Account
Deleting the admin account using PowerShell is similar to the command prompt method. But there is a tiny change in the PowerShell code.
- Press the Windows key + X and select Windows Terminal (Admin).
- Click Yes from the UAC prompt.
- Type in Get-LocalUser and press Enter.
- Look for the user account name in the list under the Name section.
- Type in Remove-LocalUser -Name “USERNAME”. Just replace the USERNAME with the account name to be deleted.
- Hit Enter Afterward.
The user account will get deleted at that instance, but all the files associated with the account will remain in the Users folder.
How can I delete my Microsoft admin account?
To delete the Microsft admin account go to Windows Settings > Accounts > Family & other users. Look for your account under the Other users section in the right pane. Select the admin account and click the Remove button. Then click on the Delete account and data button.
How can I log out from my Windows 11 admin account?
Click on the Windows Start icon to log out of your Windows 11 admin account. Then select Shut down or sign out from the options and click the Sign out option to log out from the admin account..
How to change the admin account on Windows 11?
You change your admin account in Windows 11 by going to Windows Settings > Accounts > Family & other users. Select the account under the Other users section. Click the Change Account type button. Choose Administrator and hit OK.
Windows admin account will give you more user advantages than the local user or standard account. But for some emergence, sometimes deleting one can be necessary.
In this article, I have shown all the possible ways to remove an admin account from your Windows 11 OS. I bet you got all the steps quite clearly. However, if you need more help regarding Windows, leave a comment.
Till then, explore Windows 11 & have fun!