I think you will agree with me when I say:
Taking screenshots while playing games is a must do for all the gamers around the world. And steam is the greatest platform for PC gamers.
Steam screenshot folder is the place where steam stores your memorable gaming moments. You don’t want to miss snapping a single glorious moment in your gameplay. Do you? Neither do you want to lose it.
But your questions might be:
How to take screenshots inside steam games?
How to access steam screenshot folder and how to change its location?
I have answers to all of your questions.
I know, how important it is for you to take a screenshot of your memorable moment in your gameplay.
But where to find steam screenshots?
I have easy solutions for you.
And In this post I will tell you about how to take a screenshot in steam games, how to access steam screenshot folder and how to change the steam screenshot folder’s directory.
I also have some bonus tips for you at the end of the post which are on: How to upload your own custom made screenshot to your steam library. And how to fix steam overlay not working.
I know how important it is for you to take screenshots while playing a steam. But the process might be a little bit confusing for you.
Well, for this case, let me enlighten you by saying that:
You can easily take a screenshot just by using the hot key (F12) of current gameplay screen of any steam game.
You can also change this hotkey which we will talk about later on in this post.
You might be thinking:
How do I find these screenshots?
In this section, I've discussed 2 quickest way to access all your magical moments while gaming.
All you have to do is, follow the step by step process (or watch the video) :
You can extract steam screenshots from your hard drive. To do so, you need to navigate in the following way:
1. At first go to This PC then open the local disk where you have installed steam ( default [local disk C:] )
2. Now open C:\Program Files (x86) then scroll down to steam folder. Open it
3. Then open the user data folder
4. You will see some folder named with numbers. e.g. 124018993
5. Then go to the folder named 760 and then open the folder named remote
And right here you ‘ll find all your game’s separate screenshot folders!
It's really that easy, right?
Important Note: Each of your game has a different Numerical ID in its folder names.
You can now open all the folders and get to know about which folder is for which game.
Pro Tip: Don’t rename these folders or you might face problem in saving screenshots in future from your steam app.
I think this method is much easier way than the previous one...
1. At first open the steam app in your computer
2. Then click the [view] tab at the top of the application. You will see a section named [Screenshot] in the drawer style menu. Click on it to open the screenshot manager
3. Using the screenshot manager you can upload or delete your desired screenshot photo. You can also access the screenshots directly through your hard drive by clicking the [show on disk] button.
Note: There is a space to write your caption and upload your desired picture. You can also try using your custom screenshot in steam. There is also the option to delete specific screenshots permanently from your hard drive directly from here.
Your Screenshots on The Cloud: Steam screenshots are saved in the cloud. This cloud storage also has a limit so you can’t take infinite amount of screen shots. You need to clear some space by deleting these screenshots.
Tip to Save Storage Space: This cloud storage also has a limit. So, you can’t take infinite amount of screenshots. You need to clear some space by deleting these screenshots.
Local Storage: Steam screenshots are also saved in your computer hard drive storage. So, you can save them in other folders for your convenience.
Your storage might not be sufficient to store all your steam screenshots or you may find it confusing to navigate to steam screenshot folder.
But don’t worry, I will tell you how to change the steam screenshot folder location very easily:
1. At first, you need to open the steam app then click on [view] then select [settings]
2. You will see that a new window has opened. Then you‘ll need to select the [In-Game] tab
3. In that tab you will see an option [screenshot folder] ; check below the screenshot hotkey option. (where you can change the screenshot hotkey for steam games)
4. Select the screenshot folder and you will be given option to select or create a new folder to save your steam gameplay screenshots. Select that and then click [OK]
Uploading a custom screen shot to your steam library is very amazing as you can upload any type of edited pictures.
But there’s no option in the steam app for doing it. So, you need to do it manually.
1. Opening the software: Open steam and navigate to your library. Whichever game you want your screenshot to be associated with find that in your library. Using the f12 key you can take dummy screenshot inside the game
2. Using the Screenshot Uploader: Now you can use the screenshot uploader to locate your dummy screenshots on your hard drive. If the screenshot uploader isn’t already open when you exit the game then you need to find your game in the steam library the right click its name and select view screenshots.
3. Locate: Now you can use the screenshot uploader to locate your dummy screenshots on your hard drive. If the screenshot uploader isn’t already open when you exit the game then you need to find your game in the steam library the right click its name and select view screenshots.
4. Customize: Once screenshot uploader is open, click on the button that says [show on disk]
Now it’s time for you to navigate to your custom screenshot and open it with the program MS Paint. Once it’s open in the program you want to highlight the entire image and copy it. Once that’s done you can close MS paint and head back to the location of your dummy screenshots
5. Save the File: Open any of the dummy screenshots in MS Paint once you have the image open in the program you re going to paste the image using ctrl+v over the dummy screenshot. Lastly save the file by by hitting file, then click save, or by simply tapping ctrl+s. You can now exit MS Paint.
5. Upload It: Now you need to close steam if it’s open and restart the program. After doing so, navigate back to the screenshot uploader. You’ll see a list of screenshots. Click the files that you’d upload to steam, add a caption if you need and hit upload.
'Steam overlay is not opening' is a massive problem for all the PC gamers.
Maximum gamers complain that they cannot open their Steam Overlay.
But you don’t need to worry.
It’s very simple:
The Overlay interface will not open by pressing its default shortcuts (Shift+Tab) if it’s changed by mistake.
The first thing you need to make sure to access steam overlay properly is to enable it. And your default keys are correct. Detailed instructions are provided down below.
The overlay is somehow dependent your PC components. If your system faces a heavy load it might close automatically.
And for this reason you will have to make sure that your system is in a fine state by upgrading all the major drives, limiting the number of background programs running during the gameplay, updating your OS to its latest version.
Finally after assuring all these things, if you face problem with launching steam overlay then you need to reset all the setting of the steam app or you can also try reinstalling the app with its latest version by downloading it from the official website.
Screenshots in games are somewhat like treasure to the gamers. They represent the glorious wins and game stats and various memorable things.
These screenshots are now also helping the youtubers to make awesome thumbnails.
A great screenshot is a glorious memory for all the gamers. And so, you should keep them safe in other places like, your personal cloud storage or any external hard drive.
Still facing problem? Please leave a comment and I'll try my best to solve it...
You may also like
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.