Some people might find Discord’s launch on startup feature useful. But there are many instances where it can be a nuisance, especially when it increases the overall boot time of your PC.
Fortunately, there are many ways to stop Discord from launching on PC boot. In this article, I have shortlisted the most straightforward ways to do so.
So without further delay, let’s get started.
How to Stop Discord from Launching on Startup
Discord users can stop the app from launching on Windows startup by going to the app’s Settings > Windows Settings and toggling off the Open Discord option. Alternatively, open the task manager and click on the Startup tab. Then select Update(with Discord logo) and hit Disable.
You can also disable startup apps from Windows settings. Below, I have discussed all these methods in great detail. So read on and don’t skip any steps.
Method 1: Via Discord Settings
- Launch the Discord app.
- Click on the gears icon at the bottom left corner of the app to open User Settings.
- Scroll down to find Windows Settings from the left side pane and select it.
- Click on the toggle for the Open Discord option.
Also, read our other post on how to boost your Mic volume for Discord?
Method 2: Via Task Manager
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to launch Task Manager.
- Navigate to the Startup tab and select Discord or Update(it’ll show the Discord icon).
- Click on Disable.
Method 3: Via Windows Settings
- Press Windows Key🪟+I to open Settings.
- Go to Apps(on Windows 11) or Apps & features(on Windows 10) > Startup.
- Scroll down to find Discord or Update(it’ll show the Discord icon) and toggle it off.
These methods are applicable to all Windows OS.
Follow our easy guide for how to fix Discord screen share flickering?
Stop Discord From Opening on Startup on Mac
The steps to stop Discord from launching on macOS startup are a bit different compared to Windows.
Follow these steps to disable Discord startup:
- Click on the Apple icon from the top left corner of the screen and select System Preferences…
- Select Users & Groups.
- Choose the current user and click on the Login Items tab.
- Select Discord from the list and click on the minus icon at the bottom left corner of the screen.
That should do it. If the Mac has multiple users, do the same for all the other profiles.
Check our simple step-by-step solution for you do not have permission to view message history on Discord.
How do I stop Discord from opening automatically?
Go to Discord’s Settings and click on Windows Settings. Then toggle off the Open Discord option to stop the app from launching automatically on Windows startup.
How do I stop Windows 10 from starting Discord?
Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager on your Windows 10 PC. Now, go to the Startup tab and select Discord. Then click on Disable to stop Windows from starting Discord.
Can you restrict Discord?
Yes. You can restrict Discord on your computer by denying/revoking the necessary permissions of the app.
That’s all for today. If you don’t use Discord that much, then you’ll greatly benefit by disabling the launch on startup feature. But, in case you frequently use the Discord app, then you might as well just leave it on the default settings.
Anyway, if you still have any questions on this topic, don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments below.