Windows 11 has a polished UI and many improved features, and everyone is moving towards it. After using Windows 10 for a long time, you can also plan to move to Windows 11.
But in a flash, all your ecstasy can get covered in the shadow of woe after seeing the update was encountered by the 0x80240023 error code.
But what caused this, and how to get rid of this error?
If you are desperate to know all the answers, it is high time to read this article as I have carried out all the possible fixes, tested and will solve the error.
Read till the end to resolve the issue for good.
What does Error 0x80240023 Mean?
This error code means one or more updates had declined the license terms, and Windows cannot complete the updating process. This Error Code 0x80240023 may be encountered when trying to update your Windows 10.
Windows is unable to install the Microsoft office validation add-in files for office 2007, which could be the main reason behind this flaw. But there are other reasons too.
Reasons like Windows registry error, internet access denied, or file corruption can also create this problem anytime.
These are the pathetic reasons that cause 0x80240023 error. To solve this case and update the Windows, you must apply the fixes I have mentioned in this article.
Read more on how to Fix Update Error Code 0x80004005 in Windows 11.
How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80240023?
For several reasons that I have mentioned earlier, you can get the error code while updating Windows. I have filtered out all the possible reasons and the fixes for those. Just go through every method cautiously and apply those fixes.
Here are the methods to fix Windows update error code 0x80240023:
1. Manually Install the Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in
Missing MS office file validation add-in is one of the main reasons that could trigger the error when updating Windows 10 to 11. Microsoft’s office file validity might expire, and Windows is refusing to update to the latest version.
To solve the issue, install the Microsoft Office file validation add-in manually.
Here are the steps to manually install the Microsoft office file validation add-in:
- Got to this directory C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
- Search for the CAB file in the file explorer search bar.
- Select and copy the file.
- Paste the file in the Desktop or any preferable folder of yours.
- Right-click on the file and extract the file’s contents.
- Double click on the extracted msi file to manually install the Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in for office 2007.
- Click Yes on the prompt window.
Note: If you find more than one OFV.CAB file in the directory, copy any of them because both are the same file.
After installing the file manually, go to the Windows update option and click on the Retry button. Now, Windows will check for all the available updates without the error code.
Windows will download and install the updates automatically. You can delete both the copied and extracted files from the folder.
2. Go for the Troubleshoot Option
You can also go for the Windows troubleshooting option to solve the error. It’s a simple process, and you can do that without hassle.
Here are the steps to apply the troubleshoot option:
- Go to the Settings and click on Update and Security.
- Click on Troubleshoot from the left-side menu.
- Select the Additional troubleshooter option from the bottom side.
- Click on the Windows update and Run the troubleshooter.
- Select Apply this fix when the error is found.
Restart your PC after applying the fix. Go to the Windows Update option and install the updates again. In case the problem isn’t solved, try the below method.
Also, check out our separate post on how to fix Windows can’t access network drive on Windows 11.
3. Restore the Windows Update Cache
Sometimes Windows update function might not work as it should. That could be the reason behind your getting that error code. You can fix the Windows update functionality by restoring its cache.
Here are steps to restore the Windows update cache:
- Open the RUN by pressing the Windows key + R.
- Type cmd and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to launch it with Admin.
- Type the following command lines and hit Enter key after every line.
net stop wuauserv
ren Download Download.old
net start wuauserv
net stop bits
net start bits
net stop cryptsvc
ren catroot2 catroot2old
net start cryptsvc
- Restart your machine after that and rerun the Windows update.
After applying the above steps, the error code won’t appear again, and you can install the updates without any problem.
Follow our guide to know PC won’t go to sleep mode in Windows 11.
4. Install the Updates Manually
Windows updates may not let you install the updates, but you can download them from Microsoft’s website and install them. Manually downloading and installing the updates could work like a charm.
Here are the steps to manually install the failing updates:
- Run the Windows update and check the KB number of the failed update.
- Go to the Microsoft update catalog page.
- Search the KB number in the search option and download the update.
- Install the update from your system.
After installing the update successfully, rerun the Windows updates. I hope your problem is solved by now.
5. Check Date & Time
Updating the Windows won’t be possible when your Windows system’s date and time are not correct. For this reason, Windows will decline the updates and trigger the error code. Solving this needs to update the date and time.
Here are the steps to correct the date & time:
- Make sure the internet connection is enabled.
- Turn on the Location service option by navigating to Settings > Privacy > Location.
- Right-click on the date & time from the bottom right corner of the taskbar.
- Select Adjust date and time.
- Set the Time zone properly and turn on the switch for Set time automatically.
- Restart the system after updating the date & time.
- Check for the updates again.
If all is set properly, you will not face the issue again.
Pro Tip: Check whether your Windows is activated or not. If your Windows is not activated, you will not receive any updates from Microsoft. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation and check for the activation. Activating it and retrying the update process will solve the matter if it’s not activated.
Follow our guide to update Drivers on Windows 11.
How to fix Windows update service error?
To fix the Windows update error, restart the PC and rerun the system updates. Running the Windows update troubleshooter, and scanning system file errors with the SFC can also fix the Windows update service for you.
What happens when Windows updates are interrupted?
After a halt in the middle of the Windows update process, you might face a blue screen of death (BSOD) with an error message, or your computer won’t boot from the hard drive.
Why does the Windows 10 update fail?
Windows 10 might fail to install the updates due to a lack of space in the drive. Multiple updates queued, hardware and driver conflicts or corrupted update files could be other reasons.
As a Windows OS user, it will be annoying when you face an error while updating Windows to the latest version. So, fixing is a must when it comes to resolving any error.
To solve this, you can manually install the updates, set the date & time correctly, or go for the troubleshoot option from the settings. Besides, restoring the Windows update cache and installing the Microsoft Office file validation add-in can bring an end to the error.
I believe you have fixed the issue by applying the methods ideally. Happy fixing, and have a nice day!