Do you know, Microsoft changed their meeting policies along with the location of team meeting recordings? Up until recently, all the recordings were stored safely in Microsoft Stream. But,
Where Are My Microsoft Teams Recordings Saved?
Are you informed about this and recent other changes that have taken place within the last few months? Do you know where to find the meeting recordings?
No worries. As a technological geek, I will be right there because I struggled with the same problems as yours. After analyzing, I found some fast and infallible techniques to deal with it.
So, let’s get into detail. Please, do not skip any section so that you can clear all your doubts.
Also, check out our separate post on why can’t I share my screen on Microsoft Teams.
How to Find the Meeting Recordings
In Microsoft Teams, you can get the facilities of capturing your audio, video, and screen sharing as a user. Besides, automatic transcription of recorded files is also available so that you can review the salient points whenever you need to.
There are some fantastic facts to tell you. You already know, the recorded files are saved to the cloud, but when a meeting is recorded. Say, for example, the video is
- Uploaded to OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online.
- Associated with some functions happen automatically the chat for the meeting.
- Displayed in the Recordings and Transcripts tab.
- Added to various file lists, including Microsoft 365, office.com, Recommended, Recent, etc.
- Indexed for Microsoft 365 Search.
To record a video, the role of the person who calls the meeting matters. If the person has full edit rights, the recording can later be shared with others as required. The location and permission for the recorded file rely on the meeting type. Let’s catch on the location for both cases.
Check out the easiest way to delete a conversation in Microsoft Teams.
- The recording is stored in the Recordings folder in the OneDrive for Business.
- People with the link who are invited to the meeting will automatically be granted permission to the recording file with view access only. This participant will not be able to download the recording.
- People with the link who are not invited to the meeting, the external users, will not be granted, and therefore, they cannot access the file.
- The full edit access will only happen to the meeting owner and the person who initiated the record. They will have the ability both to change the permissions and share the file with others.
Also, check out our separate post on why can’t I create a team in Microsoft Teams.
If the recording, as well as the download option, is set to Allow (default):
- In the Teams site documentation library, the recording is stored under the folder Recordings.
- All the members who clicked recording will have full edit rights to the recording.
- For other members, permissions will depend on SharePoint Online.
Have some time to spare? Quickly check out our epic guide on how to change your background on Microsoft Teams.
If the recording and the downloading are set to Block:
- Like the previous, the recording is stored in the Teams site documentation library within a folder named Recordings/View only.
- As per the name of the folder, it is apparent that channel members will have view-only access without any option to edit or download.
- The channel owners will have full edit and download rights on the recorded files in this folder.
This way, you can find the recordings of the channel and non-channel meetings.
Here’s a complete guide on how to fix AirPods not working with Microsoft Teams.
How to Download a Meeting Recording
You can download the Teams meeting recording from Microsoft OneDrive, SharePoint in Microsoft 365, or SharePoint Server 2019 to your desktop. Most importantly, only the channel owner and the meeting initiator or the person who started the meeting are able to download the recording.
Here are the steps on how to download a meeting recording from OneDrive or SharePoint:
- Go to OneDrive or SharePoint in Microsoft 365.
- Select the files or folders you want to download.
- Select each file that is to download by clicking on the circular check box that appears. For selecting multiple files altogether, click on one file and then scroll down to the last file you want to download. Now, press Shift and click on the last one. All your intended files will be selected.
- Click on Download in the top navigation bar.
- Select the destination folder where you want to store it after downloading.
You are done. Just wait for a while to complete the entire task, and then enjoy.
Check out the easiest way to fix Microsoft Teams error code CAA70004.
What are the Prerequisites of Teams Cloud Meeting Recording?
Before you use the OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online for storing your Team meeting recording, you must subscribe to the platforms. Some other aspects are essential to be noticed as a channel owner and a meeting initiator.
Here are the prerequisites you have to know before recording a meeting:
- The user must not be an anonymous or Guest user in the meeting.
- The user must have adequate storage space in OneDrive for Business for non-channel meeting recordings to be saved.
- The Teams’ channel has to own sufficient space in SharePoint Online for channel meeting recordings to be stored.
- A user must set the CsTeamsMeetingPolicy -AllowCloudRecording setting to true for recording meetings and group calls.
- A user must turn on the CsTeamsCallingPolicy -AllowCloudRecordingForCalls setting to record 1:1 calls.
- The setting -AllowTranscription must be set to true according to Teams meeting policy to enable the transcription for a user’s meeting. If you turn it off, the Search and CC options will not be available.
- The CSTeamsMeetingPolicy -ChannelRecordingDownload setting must be set to disable to protect recordings from third-party editing or manipulation.
Follow our guide to fixing Microsoft Teams error code CAA20002.
Question: What will happen to the files in Microsoft Stream after August 2021?
Answer: Your recordings will automatically be destined to OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online after July 2021. But your current files in Microsoft Stream will be unharmed.
Question: How is the expiration date calculated?
Answer: The expiration date for a recording is calculated from the day the meeting recording is created in addition to the default number of days set in the Teams setting by the admin.
Question: Does playing the recorded file change the expiration date?
Answer: No. How much you play the recordings will not alter the expiration date of the file.
Question: When will the file be deleted?
Answer: Though there is no hard and fast rule of a file getting deleted, still, the file is supposed to be deleted within 5 days of the expiration date.
Wrapping up, you do not have a plethora of options to store your recording, which is a benefit for you. To find out your Teams meeting recordings, just check the OneDrive for Business and SharePoint.
You know, after August 2021, no recordings will be preserved and downloaded on Microsoft Stream. By the way, what do you think about this change? Please, let me know.
Was this article helpful? Comment me in the box below.