Teams is a communication platform introduced by Microsoft. It offers a wide range of features, including instant text messaging, videoconferencing, file sharing, third-party application integration, and many more.
But sometimes Microsoft teams show an error code 80090016 even when your Teams profile is all good. It displays a message Your computer’s Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned.
This error restricts users from joining Teams until the error gets fixed. Like any other familiar Teams problem, this error can not be fixed with a simple restart of your device or restart of the Teams application.
Don’t worry; I have found some working solutions to troubleshoot this issue. Let’s do this.
Troubleshooting Microsoft Teams Error 80090016
Microsoft Teams error 80090016 primarily occurs in the Teams desktop version and with the educational accounts. The browser version usually doesn’t show error 80090016. There are a few working fixes to resolve this issue.
Here are the steps to fix Microsoft Teams error 80090016:
1. Delete .AAD.BrokerPlugin Folder
Deleting .AAD.BrokerPlugin Folder can resolve the problem. You can effortlessly delete the file from the file manager. Follow the instructions below to delete .AAD.BrokerPlugin Folder.
Here are the steps to delete .AAD.BrokerPlugin Folder:
- Open Run by pressing the Windows and R buttons together.
- Type C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages and hit enter.
- Find the AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy folder.
- Copy this folder to another drive to keep a backup for future uses.
- Delete the AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy folder from the Package folder.
- Launch Microsoft Teams.
- Select No only want to login to this App instead of Ok.
- Allow some time to load Microsoft Teams.
If you face any issues while deleting the Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy folder, log out from your windows account and log in with another administration account. And delete the Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy folder.
Now log in again using your main account and launch Microsoft Teams. And don’t forget to Select No only want to login to this App instead of Ok.
Check out our latest fix for Microsoft Teams Error 80090030.
2. Remove the Credentials
You can remove the credentials from the credentials manager to terminate Microsoft Teams error 80090016. You can quickly remove the credentials by following the steps below.
Here are the methods to remove the credentials:
- Press the Windows and R buttons together to open Run.
- Type control in the textbox and press Enter to open the Control panel.
- Click on the View by option and select Small icons from the Control panel.
- Find and click on the Credential Manager from the list.
- Select Windows Credentials from the Credentials Manager.
- Find the Generic Credentials and expand the entry with your Microsoft Account.
- Click on the remove and select Yes to remove the account.
- Restart your computer.
After deleting the credentials, you have to log in to all the applications that use Microsoft Account. If the problem persists, you can try the below fixes.
Also, check out our separate post on how to fix Microsoft Teams you can’t send messages error.
3. Add a New Pin
Sometimes Teams error 80090016 can occur because of the pin settings. Adding a new pin can solve this problem. Before starting this fix, ensure you are logged in using your admin account.
Here are the ways to add a new pin:
- Open File Explorer and go to: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC
- Delete all files inside the NGC folder.
- Rename the folder name if you can’t delete it.
- Log in to Windows using your password.
- Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.
- Select Add a PIN and enter your new PIN.
You have successfully added a new PIN for your system, and these steps should terminate your Teams error issue.
Quickly check out our epic guide on Microsoft Teams set out of office alerts.
4. Clear the App Cache
All the applications use cache files to optimize the loading time. Any corrupted cache file can cause software issues. It is always handy to clear the cache file to resolve common issues.
Here are the steps to clear the app cache:
- Quit the Teams app entirely from the icon tray by right-clicking on the Teams icon.
- Open Run by pressing the Windows+R key.
- Type %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams and hit Enter.
- Delete all folders mentioned below to clear the cache of the Teams.
- application cache\cache
- Indexed DB
- Local Storage
Now restart your computer and check if the error 80090016 still remains or not. If the problem continues, you should try the below fixes.
5. Disable ADAL
To resolve this error, you can disable Microsoft Azure Active Directory Authentication Library (ADAL) on the trusted platform module.
Here are the methods to disable ADAL:
- Quit Teams from the icon tray.
- Open Run by pressing the Windows+R key.
- Open Registry Editor by typing regedit in the textbox.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office.0\Common\Identity from the Registry’s navigation bar.
- Select the Identity folder.
- Right-click on the blank space from the right side.
- Select New and then DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Rename DWORD as EnableADAL.
- Open EnableADAL to change its value.
- Set the Value data to Zero (0) and select OK.
Following these instructions should solve the Teams error. If you still face the same problem, move on to the following fixes.
Follow our guide on Microsoft Teams See Myself During Calls.
6. Turn on Compatibility Mode
Opening an application in compatibility mode can help to avoid unwanted errors. So it is always worth running the application in compatibility mode. Follow the steps below to turn on compatibility mode for Teams.
Here are the ways to turn on compatibility mode:
- Right-click on the Microsoft Teams icon and select Properties.
- Switch to the Compatibility tab.
- Check the box close to Run this program in compatibility mode for.
- Choose Windows 8 from the dropdown menu.
- Click on Apply and then on OK to keep the changes.
After saving the changes, launch Microsoft Teams and check if the problem is fixed.
7. Use a Guest Account
Some users claimed that using a guest account resolved their problem. You can effortlessly create a guest account by following the instructions below.
Here are the steps to create a guest account:
- Open Settings by pressing the Windows+I key together.
- Select Accounts from the list.
- Click on Family and other users from the left panel.
- Select Add someone else to this PC next to the Plus icon.
- Click Add a user without a Microsoft account from the promoted page.
- Reboot your computer and log in using the guest account.
- Click the Ctrl+Alt+Delete button altogether to switch to the admin account.
Relaunch the Teams application when you are logged in with the admin account. If the problem persists, go to the subsequent fixes below.
8. Reinstall Teams
You can uninstall and reinstall the Teams application to solve the problem. There are several ways to uninstall an application. Follow the below instructions to uninstall the application most easily.
Here are the methods to uninstall and reinstall Teams:
- Right-click on the Windows button.
- Find Microsoft Teams in the app list.
- Click on the Teams app and select uninstall.
- Click Uninstall again to confirm.
- Wait until the uninstallation is finished.
- Restart your computer.
- Download Teams installer from the official page.
- Open the installer and install the Teams app properly.
After the installation is completed, launch the application and check if this process solves the error 80090016.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does Error Code 80090016 mean?
Microsoft Teams shows an error code 80090016, mainly for the educational accounts provided by organizations. The error phraseology is Your computer’s Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned.
How do I fix error 80090016 in MS Teams?
Open the File Explorer > Go to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC > Remove all files from the NGC folder > Navigate to Sign in option from Settings > Select Add a PIN to set a new PIN.
Why am I getting an error message on Microsoft Teams?
You are getting an error message on Teams because of faulty Windows Credentials. Using different accounts for the Windows Credentials and Microsoft 365 credentials can lead to an error.
Microsoft Teams primarily shows the error 80090016 when your computer’s trusted platform module malfunctions. Most of the time, educational accounts provided by an organization are affected by this error.
Any corrupted cache files, software version incompatibility, and faulty Windows Credentials files can cause this problem. Sometimes adding a new PIN or deleting the .AAD.BrokerPlugin Folder can resolve this annoying problem.
I have covered all the possible ways to fix the Teams 80090016 error. I hope you have already solved the issue by following the fixing steps.
Which fix works for you? Let us know in the comment below.