You can see your previously opened files with the help of the File Explorer address bar. The quick access option on File explorer can enhance your navigating ability on the Windows system.
But if you use a shared PC, you obviously don’t want others to know about your recently used files. In that case, deleting the explorer address bar history is an excellent idea. Also, you can disable your explorer address bar history to keep your privacy intact.
Not only that, but in this article, I will show you how you can delete or hide your recently used apps. Overall, when you read and follow this article accordingly, you can make your PC completely secure and safe from other suspicious eyes.
So don’t skip any part if you want a complete understanding of safeguarding your computer.
Follow our guide on how to Access iMessage on Windows 11/10
What Happens When You Clear File Explorer History?
All the stored history, such as file explorer address bar jump list history, quick access history, and taskbar history, are removed from your computer when you clear file explorer history. Also, the command line record and run command history are cleared due to this process.
But there is nothing to worry about because when you clear all this temporary data, your PC performance will not drop. Those histories are only saved for the navigation of the Windows system.
Quick access lets us move through our recent files with a single click. But several users claim this feature is unnecessary because it compromises their privacy.
For that reason, there is some inbuilt option with which you can easily delete your explorer history. In this article, I will demonstrate them, so read on.
How To Delete File Explorer Address Bar History In Windows 11
Deleting the explorer address bar history is a good option if you want to make your Windows 11 system more slick and secure. There are 4 exact ways by which you can clear them. They are exhibited below for your aid.
Here are the steps to delete the file explorer address bar history:
1. Delete File Explorer History Using Quick Access
The quick access feature allows you to navigate to recently used apps or files. But if you don’t want that, then simply move your cursor to the quick access and select the delete history option.
Here are the steps to delete the file explorer history using quick access on Windows 11:
- Open File Explorer on your Windows system.
- Move your cursor to the Quick access search bar.
- Right-click and select the Delete history option.
- Refresh your computer.
Quick access address bar history is now cleared from your Windows 11/10 system.
Read more on how to Use Tablet Mode on Windows 11
2. Delete an Individual History Using the Search Option
If you don’t want to delete all your explorer history, you can delete some individual ones to ensure your privacy.
Here are the steps to delete an individual history using the search option:
- Open the File Explorer.
- Move to the Search bar.
- Click on it and select your specific file.
- Right-click and select the Remove from device history option.
- Refresh the computer.
A specific file is deleted from your Windows system.
3. Clear History Using the Folder Options
You can use the Folder options window to completely clear your file explorer history. Move to the three dots section, select the Options and choose the Clear history option.
Here are the steps to clear your file explorer history using the folder options:
- Navigate to the File Explorer program.
- Click on the Three dots option beside the View section.
- Choose the Options box.
- Click on the Clear box beside the Clear File Explorer history option.
- Select the Apply and OK button.
All the File explorer history from your computer is cleared now.
Also read, Fix Wi-Fi Option Not Showing on Windows 11
4. Delete File Explorer History with Registry Editor
Registry editor is an excellent program where all the registry data is stored for further use. With the help of this program, you can quickly delete all your explorer history.
Here are the steps to delete explorer history with the registry editor:
- Type the Win+R keys to open the Run program.
- Write regedit and hit the Enter key.
- Follow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TypedPaths
- Select url1, url2, or url3 to see the data column.
- Delete them all if you want to clear your complete explorer history but do not delete the (Default) file.
- Refresh your PC.
You successfully deleted your explorer history with the help of the registry editor. But if you want to delete your search history for all apps and features, follow the instructions.
Here are the steps to delete all your search history using the registry editor:
- Open the Registry Editor.
- Track down Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\WordWheelQuery.
- Delete all the files except the (Default) file.
- Refresh your computer.
All of your search histories are deleted from your Windows 11/10 system.
By applying the above methods, you can quickly delete your explorer history. But to make your computer more secure, you can also Disable your explorer history. Deleting or hiding your recently used apps will protect your PC from wandering eyes.
If you are curious and don’t want to compromise your privacy, track down the following heading.
How To Disable File Explorer Address Bar History On Windows 11
Sometimes disabling the address bar history can help you with your issue. So if you want, you can disable this feature, which will not create a problem with your Windows user experience.
Here are the two steps to disable the file explorer history option:
Step 1: Disable File Explorer History Using Registry Editor
You can quickly disable your explorer history with the help of some modification in the registry editor.
Here are the steps to disable explorer history with the registry editor:
- Move to the Search bar, type Registry Editor, and select it.
- Follow Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
- Create a file if there is no Explorer folder under Windows. To do that, move to the blank space, Right-click, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it Explorer.
- Move to the Explorer folder, create a New > DWORD (32-bit) Value folder, and name this folder DisableSearchBoxSuggestions.
- Double click on this DisableSearchBoxSuggestions folder and set its value to 1.
- Hit the OK button.
Explorer history is now disabled on your system.
Related guide: 4 Easy Steps to Open Windows 11 Administrative Tools
Step 2: Disable Explorer History with Local Group Settings
Local Group Settings is an easy option to disable your explorer history. But keep in mind that Windows 11 home users don’t have this feature.
Here are the steps to disable explorer history using the Local group settings:
- Type Win+R to open the Run program.
- Copy gpedit.msc and press the Enter key.
- Select the User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer.
- Right-click the Turn off display of recent search entries in the File Explorer search box policy.
- Select the Edit option.
- Choose the Enabled option, then click on the Apply and OK buttons.
You are all set, and your explorer history option is disabled now.
Sometimes we open some sensitive files on our computer. But those files are saved in our recent history tabs; if someone operates our PC, they can easily access that.
Do you want to know how to delete the history of those recently opened apps from your computer? Follow the next heading.
How to Clear Recently Opened files History On Windows 11
You can quickly delete all your recently opened file history with simple steps. Launch the Run program and open your recently used file directory; from there, delete all the shortcuts of the file.
Here are the steps to clear your recently opened files history:
- Type Win+R to open the Run program.
- Write recent in the box and hit the Enter key.
- Select all the files by pressing the CTRL+A keys.
- Delete all the selected files by pressing the Delete key.
All your recent history is now permanently deleted from your computer. This way, your privacy will be intact and safe from suspicious persons.
If you consider hiding the apps you’ve recently opened on Windows 11, you must track down the following heading.
How To Hide Recently Opened Apps On Windows 11
Hiding the recently used apps from Windows startup is an easy process. You just need to open the Settings and move to the Personalization section. From there, select the Start option and hide the apps from there.
Here are the steps to hide recently opened apps on Windows 11:
- Press the Win+I keys to open the Settings option.
- Move to the Personalization section.
- Select the Start option.
- Toggle off the Sow recently added apps option.
- Toggle off the Show recently opened items in Start, Jump Lists, and File Explorer option.
- Refresh the computer.
Recently added and opened items are now hidden from your start menu. Your security is enhanced on your Windows 11 system, and you can enable those options whenever you need them.
Check out our separate post: Windows 11 Remote Desktop Authentication Error
How do I delete history in File Explorer?
Open the File Explorer, move to the Address bar, and Right-click then Select the Delete History option to delete your explorer history.
Can I delete the file History folder?
Yes, you can delete the File history folder, move to the Local drive and delete the FileHistory folder manually.
How do I remove recent files from the taskbar?
Open the Settings > Personalization > Start, then Toggle off the Show recently opened items in Start, Jump Lists, and File Explorer options.
Deleting your explorer address bar history is a straightforward process. With the help of the Quick access option, registry editor, and folder option, you can permanently clear all your explorer history.
I also provided a complete guide on securing your privacy with some easy modifications in this article. In particular, you can disable the explorer history option and clear or hide your recently used history files.
I hope this article will provide enough essential data with which you can make your PC more secure.
If you have questions regarding this article, let us know in the comment section.