You are ready to do your personal or official work on your PC remotely, but when you try to connect with a remote PC, your system shows a connection error.
You have tried so many times to connect with your remote PC, but alas! Every time the system shows the same error message.
Are you worried and frustrated about your situation and can’t find a way out?
If this is the case, there is no need to be concerned.
I have been in a similar situation as you, and I have been able to get out of this issue with proper tests and research. So, if you are looking for an ultimate solution to solve your remote desktop not working problem on your Windows 11 computer, you are in the right place then.
This post will show you some of the best practical and effective techniques to solve your remote desktop not working problem on your Windows 11 computer.
Keep reading and precisely follow the instructions to fix the remote desktop not working issue.
Follow our guide to Fix Update Error 8024402F on Windows 11
Why Does your Remote Desktop Not Working on Windows 11?
Various configuration or network difficulties are frequently the cause of the remote desktop not working problem. Generally, the remote desktop not working problem means the connection error. When the connection error occurs, the remote desktop does not work correctly.
The connection error is the most common problem on Windows 11 remote desktop computers. Some of the most common reasons for Remote Desktop connection errors or not working issues.
Here’s a complete guide on how to install VLC and Make it Default on Windows 11
Here is a list of possible common reasons for the remote desktop not working issue I have found:
Remote Desktop Access Server Is Disabled
The disabled remote access server is one of the reasons to show the connection error when your try to connect with a remote desktop to your computer because the host computer and remote computer both need to access and connect with the remote server.
So, If your remote access server is disabled, your computer and remote desktop can not connect with the remote access server together. For this reason, the remote desktop shows a connection error.
To solve the remote desktop connection error or not working problem, you need to enable the server to access remotely.
Check out our expert-recommended post on how to solve Error 0x00000001 in Game Pass on Windows 11
Remote Desktop Is Disabled
Another reason for remote desktop not working or connection error is the Remote Desktop application, or application feature is disabled on host or client computers.
To solve the Remote Desktop, not working problem, enable the Remote Desktop application or application feature on both the host and client-side.
In a hurry? Check out my new post on how to Use Roblox Music Codes on Windows 11
Another culprit is the Windows Firewall. Windows Firewall blocks the network. Sometimes, the Windows Firewall unnecessarily blocks the host or client network that creates the connecting not working issue to your Remote Desktop.
You need to access the Remote Dekstop into the Firewall to fix the problem.
Here’s a complete guide on how to Update Roblox on Windows 11
Overprotective Antivirus suite
The third-party antivirus suite application is another reason to create the Remote Desktop not working issue on Windows 11 computers.
Sometimes, third-party antivirus suite applications conflict with the system firewall, creating unnecessary issues. You need to disable or uninstall the AV suite to fix the Remote Dekstop not working problem.
Check out the easiest way to Fix Function Keys Stopped Working on Windows 11
RDP Services Is Disable
If your Remote Desktop Protocol services are disabled, then the Remote Desktop is not working.
Enabled all RDP services to solve the Remote Desktop not working or connection error problem.
But, before that, do check our latest post on the Fix Installation Failed Error 800f0830 on Windows 11
How to Fix Remote Desktop Not Working on Windows 11
In Windows 11, Microsoft included a built-in Remote Desktop application. So, you can not need to install any third-party Remote Desktop application on your Windows 11 computer.
You may use the Windows 11 built-in Remote Desktop application to connect to another computer remotely. But, When users try to connect to a remote PC, they may encounter Remote Desktop connection problems.
In the previous section, you’ve seen the possible potential reason for the Remote Desktop not working issue on your Windows 11 computer so far. This section will show you several tested and proven solutions to solve the problem.
So, let’s dive into the main discussion to know the solution to solve the Remote Desktop not working or connection error issue.
But, before that, do check our latest post on the Show Folder Size in Windows 11.
Here are the steps to fix the Remote Desktop not working issue on Windows 11:
1. Enable Remote Desktop via Settings App
Establish a remote desktop connection successfully to ensure both the remote PC and the client PC has Remote Desktop turned on. You can not establish the remote desktop connection without enabling the Remote Desktop feature.
Follow the steps below to enable the Remote Desktop:
- Press the Win + I keys on your keyboard to open the Windows System Settings. Or,
- Click on the Start icon at the left side corner at the taskbar and select Settings app under the Pinned apps to open the System Settings.
- Select the System tab on the left side settings menu panel.
- Scroll down and select the Remote Desktop option on the right-side top of the window.
- Make sure to toggle on the switch next to Remote Desktop if the switch is turned off.
- Click on the Confirm button to enable the Remote Desktop.
- Now, check to see whether your problem is solved. If not, then try the next solution.
Follow our guide on VPN Not Working on Windows 11
2. Enable Remote Assistance & Remote Connection
To successfully establish a remote desktop connection, ensure that both the Remote Assistance and the Remote Connection are enabled on both the remote PC and the client PC. Without these options enabled, you will be unable to make a remote desktop connection.
Follow these steps to ensure the Remote Assistance is enabled:
- Press Win + S keys on your keyboard or click on the Windows Search icon on the left-side corner of the taskbar to open Windows Search Panel.
- Type the control panel into the search bar and press the Enter button to open the Control Panel.
- Set your control panel window viewed by Category.
- Select System and Security option.
- Click on the Allow remote access link under the System section.
- Check the Allow Remote Assistance to this computer checkbox under the Remote Assistance section.
- Also, Make sure the Allow Remote connection to this computer checkbox is checked under the Remote Desktop section.
- Check to see whether your problem is solved.
Have some time to spare? Check out our latest fix for Delete Temp Files on Windows 11
3. Ensure Remote Desktop Services Is Enabled
If you face the Remote Desktop connection error on your Windows 11 PC, maybe your Remote Desktop services are disabled. You also need to ensure the client computers’ Remote Desktop services are enabled.
Follow the steps below to ensure Remote Desktop services are enabled:
- Press Win + R keys on your keybaord to open the Windows Run Program. Image no: 3.1
- Type services.msc in the Run dialogue box. Image no: 3.2
- Press the Enter key on your keyboard or click the OK button to open the System Services window. Image no: 3.3
- Scroll down and find out the Remote Desktop Services option. Image no: 3.4
- Select the Remote Desktop Services and hit the Enter key to open the Remote Desktop Services Properties window. Image no: 3.5
- Click on the Startup type drop-down menu under the General tab. Image no: 3.6
- Select the Automatic option if the service is disabled. Image no: 3.7
- Click on the Apply button to save the changes. Image no: 3.8
- Click on the Start button to run the service if the service status is stopped. Image no: 3.9
- Click on the Ok button to exit the window. Image no: 3.10
- After following the method, apply the same procedure for the Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector service. Image no: 3.11
- Now, check to see whether your problem is solved. If your problem exists, then try the following solutions.
Check our latest post on how to Fix Sound Cracking Issue on Windows 11
4. Allow Remote Desktop Through Windows Firewall
The Windows Firewall unnecessarily blocks the Remote Desktop network that creates the connecting or not working issue.
To fix the Remote Desktop connecting error or not working issue on your Windows 11 PC, allow the Remote Desktop through the Windows Firewall.
Follow these steps to allow the Remote Desktop through the Windows Firewall:
- Press the Win + S key on your keyboard to open the Windows Search panel.
- Type firewall and click on the search result: Windows Defender Firewall to see the firewall settings.
- Click on the Allow an app or feature through the Windows Defender Firewall option.
- Click on the Change settings button.
- Scroll down and find the Remote Desktop feature in the list.
- Make sure the Private checkbox is checked.
- Click on the OK button to apply the changes.
Have some time to spare? Check out our latest fix for Bluetooth Toggle Missing On Windows 11
5. Uninstall Antivirus Application
Uninstalling the antivirus application may help fix the Windows 11 Remote Desktop not working issue.
Follow the steps below to uninstall the antivirus:
- Press Windows Key + I on your keyboard to open the Windows System Settings App.
- Click on the Windows icon on your taskbar, and then click on the Settings icon under the pinned apps to open Windows Settings.
- Select the Apps tab option from the left side settings menu panel.
- Click on the Apps & features option at the top of the right side screen.
- Scroll down and find your antivirus application.
- Click on the three-dot menu and select the Uninstall button.
- Click on the Uninstall button to confirm to delete or remove the app.
Check our exclusive tutorial on Fix script error in Roblox studio on Windows 11
Microsoft introduced a built-in Remote Desktop application in Windows 11. As a result, you won’t need to install any third-party Remote Desktop software on your Windows 11 machine, but many users reported that they face Remote Desktop connection errors.
Various settings or network issues typically cause the remote desktop not working problem. In most cases, the remote desktop not functioning matter is caused by a connection error, and the remote desktop does not work correctly when a connection error occurs.
In this post, you’ve seen the possible potential reason for the Remote Desktop not working issue so far. Here I also describe five tested and proven solutions to solve the Remote Desktop connection error or not working problem on your Windows 11 computer.
I hope you found this post to be informative. If you found your solution, please let me know which method works for you.
You may also look at other posts if you’re interested in learning more about similar topics.