The backdated graphics driver is enough to spoil the gameplay with frame drops or glitches. Besides ruining the in-game adventure, it can slow down the rendering process.
So, for the sake of getting the immersive performance from the GPU, there is no alternative to keep the graphics driver up to date. In this article, I will show all the possible ways to update graphics drivers for Intel & AMD iGPUs, and Nvidia & AMD’s dedicated GPUs.
Read along and update your graphics driver.
How to Update Graphics Driver Using Device Manager
You can update the graphics driver from the Windows Device Manager app. Just right-click on the Windows start icon and select Device Manager. Click on the Display adapters section’s arrow to expand it. Right-click on the graphics and choose the Update driver option. Follow on-screen instructions after that.
Including Windows 7, you’ll get the same Device Manager app for Windows 10 & 11. So, the procedure for updating GPU drivers from Device Manager is quite the same for every Windows OS. Now, let’s explore the process with the proper steps.
The followings are the steps to update the graphics driver on Windows 7/10/11 using Device Manager:
- Right-click on the Windows start icon and select Device Manager to open it. (For Windows 10 & 11)
- Click on the Windows start icon and search for Device Manager using Windows search. (For Windows 7 OS)
- Select the Device Manager app from the search result to launch it.
- Click on the arrow icon beside the Graphics adapter section to expand it.
- Right-click on the graphics driver and choose Update driver.
- Select the Search automatically for the drivers option.
If there’s a latest driver for the graphics, Device Manager will automatically download & install the update for you.
Note: You can update the latest driver for Intel or AMD iGPU, Nvidia & AMD dedicated GPU drivers using the Device Manager app.
Update Graphics Driver Using Windows Update
Not only from the Windows Device Manager app, but you can also update the graphics driver via Windows update. Go to Windows Settings, and click on the Windows update section from the left pane. Select the Check for update button to update the GPU driver along with other Windows updates.
The main thing is when you update Windows from the Settings app; the graphics driver also gets updated. So, let’s take a look at those steps to update the graphics driver using Windows update.
On Windows 10/11
- Press the Windows🪟 key + I to launch the Windows app.
- Click on the Windows Update from the left pane.
- Select the Check for updates button from the right pane.
Now, the Windows system will automatically check for all available drivers, including the graphics driver. Windows 11 has a separate driver’s update option within the Windows update section. So when you’re on the Settings app, follow the below steps to look for available driver updates.
- Go to the Windows update section from the left pane’s Settings options.
- Click on the Advanced option from the right pane.
- Select Optional updates under the Additional options section.
- Click to expand the Driver update section.
If there is a latest graphics driver, you’ll find it there. Just check the box for the driver you want to select. Then, click on the Download & Install button.
Note: Along with the integrated graphics driver, you can also update the dedicated graphics driver through Windows updates.
Update GPU Driver from Manufacturer Website
If you have a dedicated graphics card like Nvidia GTX 1660 or AMD RX 5600XT, you can go to the Manufacturer’s website and search for the exact GPU model you have. After selecting the GPU model, look for the latest driver. Then download it, and once downloaded, install the driver.
Let me show the procedure for downloading the graphics driver for both Nvidia & AMD GPUs.
For Nvidia Graphics Card
- Go to Nvidia’s official website.
- Click on the Product type’s drop-down button and select the GPU card you have.
- Select the exact Product series, Product, Operating system, Download type, and Language.
- Click on the Search button after that.
- Hit the Download button twice.
After that, the latest driver will start downloading. Then install the driver for your Nvidia graphics card.
For AMD Graphics Card
- Go to AMD’s official graphics downloading page.
- Select Graphics from the product selection list’s left pane.
- Choose your AMD graphics card series from the right pane.
- Select the exact model from the rightmost pane.
- Click the Submit button after that.
- Select the current OS.
- Click the Download button to initiate the downloading process.
After downloading, locate the file and double-click on it to install AMD’s latest GPU driver.
How to Automatically Update Graphics Driver
You can download Intel Driver & Support Assistant (Intel DSA) to auto-detect old Intel graphics drivers and update them automatically. You can download the driver automatically with the AMD Radeon app. And for Nvidia, download the GeForce Experience app to update the driver automatically.
1. Intel Driver & Support Assistant (Intel DSA) for Intel iGPUs
Intel DSA is a web app, so when you launch it, it’ll open in the default web browser. You can download this app from Intel’s official webpage. After downloading the app, install it, then follow these instructions to check for graphics driver updates automatically.
- Launch the Intel DSA app & it’ll open in the default browser.
- Click on the Available Updates section from the left pane.
- Click on the Download button of the Graphics driver under the Available Updates tab.
The driver will then download and install automatically. This app will check for all Intel drivers, including the integrated graphics driver, when you launch the app.
Before updating the driver, you must figure out what integrated graphics you have with some quick methods.
2. Nvidia GeForce Experience & RTX Experience App for Nvidia GPUs
If you’re using Nvidia’s graphics card, you can enable the automatic graphics driver download option from the GeForce Experience or RTX Experience app. Those apps will automate the download process and notify you once the downloading is finished.
Note: Download the GeForce Experience app if you own an Nvidia GTX card or RTX Experience app for Nvidia RTX series cards.
Let me show you the steps to enable these apps’ automatic driver download option.
- Launch the GeForce or RTX Experience app.
- Go to the left pane’s General tab.
- Scroll down to the last until you find the Download section.
- Check mark the box for Automatically download driver updates and let me choose when to install option.
Done! You have enabled the automatic graphics driver download option for your GTX or RTX graphics card.
3. AMD Radeon Software for AMD GPUs
You can use the official AMD Radeon software to automate the graphics driver download process for AMD graphics cards. With this app, you can download AMD APUs integrated graphics drivers, including the dedicated ones.
- Install the AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition app after downloading it from the official website.
- Launch the app after installing it successfully.
- Click on Settings (Gear icon) from the top right side.
- Click on the System tab.
- Toggle the switch for Check For Updates automatically from manually.
- Click on the toggle switch to enable the Download Drives & Software option.
After enabling these options successfully, the AMD graphics driver will automatically get downloaded & installed from now on.
In case you face any issues after updating the driver, you can always reset the graphics driver to fix this.
How to update the integrated graphics driver from Windows 10/11?
To update the integrated graphics driver on your Windows 10/11 OS, launch the Device Manager app from Windows Start. Expand the Graphics adapters section, and right-click on the driver. Choose the Update driver option and follow the on-screen instructions to update the latest driver.
How to automate updating driver process from the Nvidia GeForce Experience app?
You can enable the automatic driver download option from the Nvidia GeForce Experience app. Just lunch the app and go to Settings. Click on the General tab from the left pane. Scroll down and go to the Download section. Tick mark the box to download the driver automatically.
Can I enable automatic driver download for AMD graphics cards?
First, download & install the AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition app. Then launch the app and go to Settings. Select the Systems tab, and toggle the switches to enable Check For Updates and Download Drives & Software options.
If you’re running your computer on the old graphics driver, you won’t get the immersive visual experience. Furthermore, due to backdated drivers, you might face issues like glitches or frame drops while gaming. That’s why updating the GPU driver is undeniable.
If you have finished reading now, you know all the possible ways to download the latest graphics driver or even automate the updating process. Please let me know in the comment box if you need further help. Good luck!