There’s nothing worse than plugging in the VR headset for the first time and seeing it function in an abnormal way. I have used Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and Sony PlayStation VR and in all cases, I have faced some random issues.
Don’t worry and just relax because you can fix VR Headset Not Working issues within the next 2 minutes.
To help you iron out the kinks, in this post, I have compiled all the possible VR headset problems and their respective solutions clearly.
So, let’s get started.
Why is my VR headset Not Working?
VR Headsets are the most modern technologies which require AI and a lot of motion sensors. If any of these motion sensors, cables, or software is corrupted, your Headset won’t function the way it supposed to be.
VR Headset problems are many depending on the damage it has. The damage can be both hardware and software related.
Not everyone will face similar types of problems and not every solution to the problem is a 100% guaranteed way. But, the steps I will be going to provide are researched and experimented. So, it is a fail-proof solution guide.
Before going on to any of the solutions, I will prefer you to read carefully and find the suitable Headset you are facing problems with.
How to Fix Tracking Issues on VR Headsets
Tracking issues completely depend on the motion sensors and lightings. The motion sensors all around your VR Headset and the Controller help the computer generate a similar type of movement.
If your VR headset is not tracking properly then, you will see an in-game message that your avatar is moving without virtual input.
Also, fix PS5 tracking issues.
Fix PlayStation VR Tracking Issues
Your PlayStation continuously uses Blue Lights to track your motion senses. The problem could be related to lighting only. If not then, the problem is with the motion-generated sensors.
Here are the steps to fix tracking issues on PSVR:
- Go to settings and Select Devices > PlayStation Camera. Make sure that no light source is interrupting the VR headset. If you haven’t covered your windows yet the, immediately cover it up to stop the window from reflecting light. Once you have adjusted the light source, you have to adjust the camera of the PlayStation.
- Position yourself within the Designated Play Zone. Make yourself comfortable within the boundary of the PlayStation Camera. Make yourself comfy within 6 feet distance from the camera.
- Wipe the motion sensors and lens with a microfiber cloth
- If none of the steps worked, it’s basically a hardware problem and you have to contact Sony.
Fix HTC Vive VR Tracking Issues
Try the following steps if your movement is not being tracked on HTC Vive:
- Ensure that the headset is placed inside the playing zone.
- Restart the SteamVR app if the power on the headset was disconnected and again connected.
- Reconnect the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on your computer’s graphic card.
- Restart the SteamVR app. This will fix any critical bugs present in the software and also install necessary updates.
Fix Oculus Tracking Issues
If your Oculus Rift S cannot track your movement while hardware and software set up with Windows 10 then, try adjusting the motion sensors.
- Adjust your sensor by Restarting the PC and continuing with Oculus setup until the sensor setup page is seen and then unplug the sensor for a few seconds and re-plug it.
- Check if USB drivers are up to date.
- Try plugging the sensor in a different USB port.
- Restart Oculus App and if possible reinstall the app.
Fix Valve Index Tracking Issues
The easiest way to solve tracking issues on valve index is by charging ports. The problem is similar with the Oculus Rift when it doesn’t have enough bandwidth on USB. To fix this, just plug the sensor or cables into a 3.0 USB port.
How to Fix VR Headset Not Turning On
Several cables need to be plugged into your VR headset, processor box, and PlayStation 4 console including a USB cable, two HDMI cables, a power cable, and a cable running directly to the headset in order to work properly. You have to ensure that these cables are correctly connected to the right ports before you start troubleshooting your headset.
Fix PSVR Headset Not Turning On
If your headset is plugged in correctly but still won’t turn on then, the problem could reside in system software or a piece of hardware.
- Update the PSVR software in a similar manner to the PlayStation Camera by going to Settings > select Devices. Then, select PlayStation VR system software.
- Make sure that the processor unit’s light is white. If it’s red, you have to turn off your system and unplug the processor unit. After re-plugging, try to turn on both your console and headset.
- Ensure that all HDMI and USB cables are plugged incorrectly.
- Clean the attachment sensor located in the front of the headset with a cloth.
Fix HTC Vive VR Headset Not Turning On
If you see that the processor unit’s light is red, try these methods to resolve the issue:
- Unplug and Re-plug the headset 3-in-1 cable on the link box.
- Ensure that the cables between the link box and your computer are properly connected.
- Restart the link box by disconnecting and reconnecting the power adapter into an electrical output.
Fix Oculus VR Headset Not Turning On
It is very easy to fix Oculus rift s VR not turning on. You just have to make sure that the Rift and the USB Drivers are up to date and the sensor is plugged in with a 3.0 USB port.
Fix Valve Index VR Headset Not Turning On
All the methods are the same in all 4 VR Headsets. Only the software is different.
- Check your headset power outlet, USB, DisplayPort, PC, and breakaway connector connections.
- Ensure that the tether is fully plugged into the HMD.
- Update video driver versions including the high-definition audio component
- Reboot your headset from the SteamVR status window by going to SteamVR Menu > Devices > Restart headset.
How to Fix On-Screen Blurry Image on VR
I have made a complete tutorial on how to fix VR blurry images on my other post. Do check it out for further understanding.
How to Fix VR Headset Not Found Issue
It is basically a software-based problem and hardly about 2% a hardware-based. Besides, you should keep in mind that the cables need to be connected tightly with the accurate ports. Try bending the cable underneath the point and patch it up with a rubber band and then connect it to the port.
Fix PSVR Headset Not Found
- Unplug the VR headset from the VR headset connection cable and plug it back in.
- Try using the other USB 3.0 port on your PlayStation4.
- Plug the headset directly into the processor unit.
Fix HTC Vive Headset Not Found
Do the following steps to troubleshooting techniques if you face such problems:
- Close all Steam apps including the SteamVR app from your PC.
- Unplug the link box HDMI and USB cables, as well as its power cable from an electric outlet.
- Plug the cables back in. Wait for the driver installation to finish.
- Restart the SteamVR app.
Fix Oculus Headset Not Found
Ensure that the Oculus Rift headset is plugged into your dedicated graphics card. If you try to use your integrated graphics card, it won’t connect. Install the latest Oculus drivers and install latest Windows OS.
Fix Valve Index Headset Not Found
Check all the cable connections of the headset and the Port. Make sure that the headset is turned on and the cable is connected to a USB 3.0 driver. Do ensure that all the drivers are up to date and the software is in its latest version.
Why is my VR Remote not working?
If your controller have low batteries then you won’t be able to use your VR remote perfectly. It will either work with a laggy performance or won’t be detected by your console.
Apart from that, VR remotes have motion sensors too. If those motion sensors are damaged, your remote will stop working.
Fix PSVR Remote Note Working
Disconnect the controller from the console by clicking the reset button located at the back of the controller for a few seconds if the buttons don’t respond. Plug the USB cable to the controller to connect the devices and then to the PlayStation console. Press the PlayStation button to pair. If the controller does not pair, a new motherboard is needed in that case.
Fix HTC Vive VR Remote Not Working
If VR remotes LEDs are blue, this indicates they’re attempting to connect to the headset. To solve this issue, the remote needs to be re-paired using the steps below:
- Open SteamVR desktop application and Go to Device > Pair Controller. Hold down the App and System buttons until the device rings.
- If the controllers become unresponsive and fail to connect to the headset, you’ve likely been hit with the issue. Hold down the Trigger, Menu Button, Trackpad click, and Grip buttons simultaneously on the unresponsive controller. Connect the controller to a PC, via a micro USB cord holding those buttons. Wait for 5 seconds and release the buttons.
Fix Oculus VR Remote Not Working
If your Oculus Rift remote isn’t connecting, you may need to remove the batteries.
To check if the plastic tab is stuck in the VR remote:
- Open the battery cover and remove the battery.
- Ensure that there are no plastic pieces in the battery compartment after removing the battery.
Fix Valve Index VR remote Not Working
First of all, you have to check the LED of the button.
- If it is blue then the controller is powered but not paired. Open SteamVR and go to Menu > Pair Controller. Hold down the System button and B button simultaneously.
- If it is red then, your controller is in the worst state. Try Restarting the software. If it doesn’t help contact the service provider.
- If there is no LED then either the batteries run off or the controller will not power on because of the low power supply.
How To Fix VR Mic not working Issues
Wireless audio doesn’t work on some Headsets. In this case, an additional Headset is used.
The additional headset should have a working mic. Try putting the mic in any port to check if it’s okay or not.
Fix PSVR Mic Not Working
If you are using headphones plugged into the headphone jack on a 3.5mm cable headset then, ensure they are completely plugged in. Make sure that your headphones work on another device.
- Completely turn off PlayStation 4 (not Rest Mode).
- Unplug the PSVR’s Processor Unit.
- Wait 60 seconds and plug it black again. Power it up again to see if the issue is fixed or not
Fix HTC Vive Mic Not Working
It is very easy to turn the mic on in HTC Vive. Go to the sound recording options and right-click the Vive mic.
Select properties and click the levels tab to ensure that the microphone slider is all the way up and the box indicates 100.
Fix Oculus Rift Mic Not Working
If you are having trouble with your mic when using Oculus Link, make sure that your software is up to date and that the volume is not muted on the device and computer.
- Click the Speaker icon in the taskbar in the bottom-right part of your screen and also check that your audio and mic are both set to Oculus Virtual Audio Device by viewing the devices present.
Fix Valve Index Mic Not Working
Check if the headset is solid green in the SteamVR status window and then confirm that the Index microphone is the default recording device for Windows. For this, type sound in the search box and go to the recording tab.
If another device is selected, switch to this one instead. Launch your game again or restart SteamVR. Another way is to try a different USB port connection for your Headset and Mic.
VR is one of the coolest pieces of equipment one can use for gaming. However, the VR headsets problem is problematic enough to ruin all the fun.
In this post, I tried to compile every possible problem with the headset and provided a quick fix for VR Headset Not Working issues. Just select your device and navigate to the fix.
If you face any similar types of problems, do mention them in the comment section.