How to Fix Unable to Access Jarfile Error
Are you facing an issue error named Unable to access Jarfile frequently?
If you are a windows user, then being unable access various files might be a common thing for you.
It happens whenever there is something wrong within the system or with the file itself.
Don’t panic because in this blog you will get to know how to fix this problem and access these files.
What is a JAR File?
The term JAR basically stands for JAVA Archive. It’s an accumulation of many Java class files which is incorporated with metadata and other resources. It is usually in a package file format and with a .JAR extension.
Now, as you got the idea about JAR file and its format.
You might be wondering:
How can I open this file?
Well to open JAR files you need to have Java Run-time Environment (JRE) installed in your system.
But here’s the kicker:
You can open only the executable JAR files, not the files which aren’t executable.
Now, since our topic is related to error relating to access to JAR files, we will only be talking about the executable ones.
In the very next part of this blog, you will get the idea regarding why users are denied access of the executable JAR files.
Reasons Behind Unable to Access Jarfile
By now you did have an overall idea about JAR file. Right?
But the question is:
Why users often get denied of its access?
Well, reasons might be many but here in this blog I have discussed the most common ones that almost 90% of the users faced themselves.
So, let’s face those:
- Your system may have malware
- Your system doesn’t have the updated version of Java installed in it
- Default program for getting access to the Jar files isn’t set.
- File path for the executable java files is incorrect.
Now, what I suggest you is to stop worrying about all the above mentioned reasons. Because I’ve got all the relevant solutions for you.
Just stay tuned and follow me to the next parts.
Fix for Unable to access Jarfile Error
I would not waste much of your time here explaining more things about the error. You’ve had enough of the information which was required for the basic knowledge.
Keep in mind that:
You don’t need to try each and every solutions here that I am going to discuss. Just try out one if it solves then it is fine and if not move forward for the other one.
So, let’s get back for what we are here, which is into the solution.
Step-1: Update your Java version
As I discussed before in the reasons that not having the latest version of Java may lead to the error of not getting access to the jarfile.
So, what you need to do is make sure that you install the latest version of java available in your system.
If you don’t have it then download it from the official website and then install it.
For the installation process follow the steps I have mentioned below:
- Go to the search option in the task bar and type Run.
- Now click on Run and type appwiz.cpl and the hit enter,
- Now you will automatically navigate to control panel home, where you can uninstall and change a program
- Now search for Java there and once you find it, right click on it to uninstall.
- After the process is complete, go to the official website of java, download the latest version and install it.
- Now restart your computer and check whether the unable to access jar file still persists or not.
Step-2: Detect for Malware
Having malware in your system is always an issue to be worried of.
You might also see the error we are discussing here as a result of existing malware in your computer.
Very frustrating. Right?
Well you can, check for any existing virus or malware in your system using the Windows defender or any other antivirus that you are using and then remove it.
After that follow the step-1 to make sure that all files are removed and then reinstalled.
Step-3: Set Java as Default Opening Program
In order to handle the JAR files you should set Java as the default file handler or program.
Why is this important?
Because if you don’t do so the whole Error: Unable access to jarfile will annoy you repetitively.
For getting rid of this problem
Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to the folder that contains your JAR files.
- Now right click on the JAR file and select open with and choose Java program.
- If you don’t get Java app, then choose another app and from the list click on Java.
- Now you go to the Java folder and choose Java and open it.
- You will get the option of opening with new window, click OK on it
- Now open the JAR and see the problem persists or not
Step-4: Make Hidden Files and Folders Visible
Well this is a rare case but sometimes this hidden feature of windows can be the reason behind unable to access jarfile error.
Here’s the solution for it:
- Go to the file explorer
- Now click on the view tab and then click the Options for opening the window.
- Now select the view tab from the window
- Then choose Show Hidden files and press the apply button.
- Now choose OK and check the problem still exists or not, if it doesn’t then switch on to the next option.
Step-5: Use JarFix
If none of the above methods works for you, then this is the option for you.
What you have to do is look for jarfix on the internet and download it. Then click on jarfix.exe after you install it and fix the JAR file error.
You can open your file by rightclicking on them then select open with. after this select jarfix.
And you'll be good to go.
Question: How can I open a JAR file?
Answer: You can open JAR file in your system only if you have, Java runtime Environment (JRE) installed in your system which will only open the executable JAR files.
Question: What causes “Error: Unable to access Jarfile”?
Answer: As I have mentioned in the post, there are some common reasons that are behind the problem of most users. They are – Outdated Java version, malwares, incorrect file path, no default program set.
Question: What is Error: Unable to access jarfile?
Answer: Well it is one of the common errors that windows users often face, which is related to denial of access of the JAR files existing in a system due to various reasons.
So, these are some of the solutions that I have tried before to solve the error and was quite successful, to be very honest.
You can try these solutions without any hesitation as it would solve your problem within no time.
If you still face any problem then, do let me know in the comments.