So, you created a jar file but unable to open the executable one?
If you are a windows user, then being unable access various files might be a common thing for you.
What causes the Unable to access jarfile error?
The main reason behind not accessing the jar file is because of corrupted Jars and missing Manifest entry. Another major issue is selecting the wrong File path for the executable java files. Update to the latest JAVA version and relaunch eclipse to fix this error.
It happens whenever there is something wrong within the system or with the file itself.
Don’t panic because in this blog you will get to know how to fix this problem and access these files.
What is a JAR File?
The term JAR stands for JAVA Archive. It’s an accumulation of many Java class files incorporated with metadata and other resources to get packed in a single package for distribution. It is a file format with a .jar extension. To open JAR files, you need to have Java Run-time Environment (JRE) installed in your system.
But here’s the kicker:
You can open only the executable JAR files, not the files which aren’t executable.
Now, since our topic is related to error relating to access to JAR files, we will only be talking about the executable ones.
In the very next part of this blog, you will get the idea regarding why users are denied access of the executable JAR files.
Why users often get denied of its access?
Well, reasons might be many but here in this blog I have discussed the most common ones that almost 90% of the users faced themselves.
So, let’s face those:
- Your system may have malware
- Your system doesn’t have the updated version of Java installed in it
- Default program for getting access to the Jar files isn’t set.
- File path for the executable java files is incorrect.
Now, what I suggest you is to stop worrying about all the above mentioned reasons. Because I’ve got all the relevant solutions for you.
Just stay tuned and follow me to the next parts.
Easy Steps to Fix error: unable to access jarfile
I would not waste much of your time here explaining more things about the error. You’ve had enough of the information which was required for the basic knowledge.
Keep in mind that:
You don’t need to try each and every solutions here that I am going to discuss. Just try out one if it solves then it is fine and if not move forward for the other one.
Here are the steps to fix error unable to access jarfile:
1. Update Java to the Latest Version
As I discussed before in the reasons that not having the latest version of Java may lead to the error of not getting access to the jarfile.
So, what you need to do is make sure that you install the latest version of java available in your system.
If you don’t have it then download it from the official website and then install it.
Here are the steps to update JAVA:
- Go to the search option in the task bar and type Run.
- Click on the Run dialogue box and type appwiz.cpl and then press enter,
- Navigate to control panel, where you can uninstall and change a program
- run a thorough check on your computer and search for Java, right click on it to uninstall.
- Go to the official website of java, download the latest version and install it.
- Restart your computer and check whether the unable to access jar file still persists or not.
2. Detect for Malware
Having malware in your system is always an issue to be worried of.
You might also see the error message as a result of existing malware in your computer.
Well you can, check for any existing virus or malware in your system using the Windows defender or any other antivirus that you are using and then remove it.
After that follow the step-1 to make sure that all files are removed and then reinstalled.
3. Set Java as Default Opening Program
In order to handle the JAR files you should set Java as the default file handler or program.
Why is this important?
Because if you don’t do so the whole Error: Unable access to jarfile will annoy you repetitively.
Here are the steps to set java as default opening program:
- Go to the folder that contains your JAR files.
- Right-click on the JAR file and select open with and choose Java program.
- Choose another app If you don’t get Java app and from the list click on Java.
- Go to the Java folder and choose Java to open it.
- You will get the option of opening with new window, click OK on it
- Now open the JAR and see the problem persists or not
Well this is a rare case but sometimes this hidden feature of windows can be the reason behind the error message.
Here’s the solution for it:
- Go to the file explorer
- Click on the view tab and then click the Options for opening the window.
- Select the view tab from the window
- Choose Show Hidden files and press the apply button.
- Choose OK and check the problem still exists or not, if it doesn’t then switch on to the next option.
5. Use JarFix
If none of the above methods works for you, then this is the option for you to run jar files.
What you have to do is look for jarfix on the internet and download it. Then click on jarfix.exe after you install it and fix the JAR file error.
You can open your file by rightclicking on them then select open with. after this select jarfix.
And you’ll be good to go.
TIP: Make sure that the file is selected to be opened by Java.
6. Set the Default File Association
Changing the file association is important. Here are the steps to set the default file association:
- Navigate to the JAR file’s directory.
- Open the executable file with the JAVA software.
- Press the Windows + I keys together to launch the Settings application.
- Go to Apps and select Default apps from the left navigation bar.
- Click Choose default apps by file type and locate the entry .jar file.
TIP: Read the documentation properly for the function or utility that opens or runs.
So, these are some of the solutions that I have tried before to solve the error and was quite successful, to be very honest.
You can try these solutions without any hesitation as it would solve your problem within no time.
If you still face any problem then, do let me know in the comments.