Tired of using the crappy, built-in microphone of your Windows laptop? Well, you can easily buy an external mic and stop sounding like a damn robot. But you’ll need to perform some additional steps from Windows settings to enable a microphone & set it as default. So how can you enable & set the default microphone in Windows 11?
Let’s dive into this article & find out, shall we?
How to Enable & Set the Default Microphone in Windows 10
Windows 10 allows users to juggle different microphone inputs, whether from the built-in webcam, a headphone or an external microphone setup. But before that, you’ll need to enable the microphone, especially if you’re using an external one.
To enable & set the default mic, go to Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Sound. Now navigate to the Recording tab & right-click on the microphone that you want to enable & set as default. Click on Enable. Now select the microphone again & click on Set Default.
Below I have shortlisted some alternate methods to enable and set the default microphone on your Windows 10 PC.
How to Enable a Microphone in Windows 10
You can enable your preferred microphone for your Windows 10 PC from either the Device Manager or the Control Panel. Although, you might need to install corresponding 3rd party software for some external microphones.
Here’s how to enable a microphone in Windows 10:
Via Control Panel
- Press the Windows Key+S and type sound.
- Hit the Enter button on your keyboard. Click Yes if prompted.
- Go to the Recording tab.
- Right-click on your preferred microphone and select Enable.
Related contents you should read Logitech G Hub not working on Windows 11.
Via Device Manager
- Right-click on the Windows icon and select Device Manager.
- Expand the Audio inputs and outputs section.
- Right-click on your microphone & select Enable device.
- Press the Windows icon and select Settings.
- Go to System > Sound.
- Click on Manage sound devices, which you can find under the Input section.
- Choose your preferred microphone under Input devices.
- Hit Enable.
Personally, I prefer using Device Manager to enable my computer’s microphone as it’s a more straightforward/foolproof method.
Check out our separate post: best places to buy Windows 10 key.
How to Set the Default Microphone in Windows 10
After enabling the microphone, you need to set it as the default. Otherwise, all your voice inputs will be received from another microphone which is set as default.
Here are the steps to set the default microphone in Windows 10:
Via Control Panel
- Right-click on the sound icon from the taskbar & select Recording devices.
- Choose your microphone and click on Set Default.
- Press Windows Key+I & go to System > Sound.
- Click on the drop-down menu under the Input section.
- Select the microphone that you want to set as default.
On an additional note, if you’re using Slack, you might not be able to use your desired microphone as it often fails to detect 3rd party mics.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I set my headset mic as default?
To set your headset mic as default, right-click on the sound icon from the taskbar and select Recording devices. Now select your headset mic and click Set Default. If the headset mic is disabled, right-click on it and select Enable.
How do I test my microphone?
You can test your microphone from Settings > System > Sound > Input > Test your microphone.
That’s about it. I hope this write-up has provided all the information you were looking for. Make sure to keep the microphone/audio drivers up to date to avoid facing any issues.
If you have further queries on this topic, feel free to share them with our tech team in the comment section below.
Have a great day!