Downloading an important file but the downloading speed is so tardy. Aren’t you curious to know what’s the reason behind this? Does the CPU have any role in this slow download speed?
Don’t be anxious! You can find all your answers in this article.
As a Network Support Engineer, I am solving network-related problems for the past 10 years. I will guide you to clear all your confusion.
Read this article till the end, besides knowing the main fact you will know other related reasons behind slow internet download speed.
Does Internet Speed depend on the CPU?
CPU is the main brain behind your entire system. It controls your every work and executes your every task. All the interactions between the applications and your commands are fully controlled by this CPU. That’s why it is called the Central Processing Unit or in short the CPU.
Internet speed mainly depends on the bandwidth speed that you are using. If you are using high-speed internet then you shouldn’t face many problems. But instead of having a faster internet if you are facing sluggish browsing or downloading speed then you should lookup for the reasons behind this.
Timing for opening a tab depends on how much load your CPU is handling at that particular moment. If you are using a powerful CPU then you probably won’t face any slow download speed if your bandwidth speed is high enough.
But if you are using a poor grade CPU and don’t have enough RAM to handle your multiple opened tab then you may face slow download speed. So, to say technically, it is a fact that CPU affects download speed.
How does CPU Speed Affect Download Speed?
How many cycles per second a CPU can execute depends on its clock speed. CPU speed is measured in GHz (Gigahertz). A CPU with a higher clock speed can handle the task more easily.
Suppose, you are using a dual-core processor-based system and you perform your daily network-related task using it. All seems fine to you but when you will shift to a quad-core processor-based system you will notice many differences. A single-core processor can run faster than a multi-core processor but can’t handle multiple tasks like a multi-core processor.
So, a CPU with higher GHz and multiple cores can handle multiple tabs and can handle more workloads like streaming and gaming at the same time. This high-speed CPU will give you an extra advantage in the networking base work like browsing or watching online movies, streaming videos, etc.
Besides, a weak CPU is responsible for packet loss, which eventually affects download and upload speed.
Lastly, while gaming, ping matters the most. Check how the CPU affects ping in online games.
What can Cause Slow Internet Speed Except for CPU?
You will be mad as a hornet when you face slow net speed while you are in the middle of serious work.
There are other factors besides CPU that affects the download speed. Your CPU may coupe up with multi-tasking or can take a heavy load but what about other pc components? There are components that can also slow down your download speed instead of having a high-speed net connection or high-end CPU.
Here are the other factors besides CPU that also matters for networking work:
- RAM (Random Access Memory): RAM is a crucial component of your system. A RAM can handle your multitasking job with lightning speed. More RAM means it can perform actions between your application and task much faster.Ram boost up the processor by holding and retrieving data quickly while web browsing and switching through multiple tabs, handling multiple opened application. So, More can provide you better networking experience. And above all, RAM collaborates with the CPU insanely close.
- Network Interface Card (NIC): Network interface card also plays an important role in this segment because its main job is to perform networking tasks.NIC is a hardware component that provides a dedicated network connection to the computer.The external card can handle network speed much better and the external or internal network card provides a stable connection. If your NIC is a powerful one then you will get the best networking experience.
- Router: The router is also an important component because for wireless communication it is a must device to use. Powerful routers can manage networks with more stability. Routers with 5GHz frequency provide faster speed than 2.5GHz routers but 2.4GHz can cover more areas than 5GHz routers. A wireless router with a high configuration is better for working purposes. Gaming routers and server-based routers provide top-notch networking speed.
- Low powered CPU: A CPU with a low clock speed and a single core can be the reason behind the slow net speed. It can’t perform multitasking. With this type of CPU, you will face slow net speed because after opening multiple tabs you will face lag everywhere. So, try to use a CPU that can do minimum multitasking operations.
- Slow Internet Connection: It’s a common problem now these days. Slow internet connection mainly occurs when ISP failed to solve networking issues. Too much network traffic is also a reason behind this. If you face a slow net speed problem then complain to your ISP provider or try to upgrade your bandwidth speed. Slow bandwidth can’t keep up with streaming, downloading, or gaming at a time.
- Wireless Network issue: Wireless networks may vary from device to device. If your router is far away from your using spot then you will face speed problems. Too much interference between you and the router is also another reason. Try to decrease the gap between the router and your net using spot. It is better to use an ethernet cable for a desktop or laptop for hustle-free networking work.
- Network Adapter Problem: Sometimes you may face a slow net connection due to a damaged network adapter. A damaged or low-grade network adapter can give you a horrible experience while working. Try to check the network adapter and if it turns out to b a faulty one just replace it, problem solved.
- Bandwith eater Background process Running: Sometimes a lot of applications, processes, or services may run in the background. These services may use a lot of data all the time. When multiple bandwidth eater services run in the background then you will face a sluggish net problem. Try to figure out which services use lots of net data in-process and end the process. It will eventually solve your problem.
- Cheap router: I strongly recommend avoiding cheap routers. Chep router will serve you sluggish wireless connection and worst frequency base network. Just avoid them and use mid-range or high-range based routers for blazing-fast wireless connection.
Curiously, the network speed can differ from one PC to another, and you can fix such slowdowns in internet speed with simple methods.
How to Boost Download Speed?
You can boost up your download speed by using a premium-grade modem or router, using a premium category VPN, using fast DNS servers, scanning for malware or other viruses and removing them, using an ethernet cable for desktops and laptops, Using IDM can boost your download speed.
How to Test Your Internet Speed?
It is a simple job to do. You can go to a speed testers website like sppedtest.net or other sites to test your internet speed. There are lots of applications available for both pc and mobile to test your internet speed. You can check your upload, download speed, and test your ping from this app.
How to Get a Faster Uploading Speed?
Get an ethernet cable and use it for a laptop or desktop. Try to avoid wireless connections and use a wired connection to get better uploading speed. Clearing cookies, temporary files, and history if necessary. This will increase your system’s speed.
Slow Download or Browsing Speed instead of having Fast Internet?
Many reasons can cause this problem. Weak wifi signal, the number of users increased, DNS server not working perfectly, Faulty issues with Internet service or server may down. Try to figure out which one caused slow internet speed. They fix it.
I think after reading the entire article you got your answer. It’s a fact that the CPU can affect your download speed. A low-powered processor can give you a sluggish network experience. Try to use a CPU that can handle multi-tasking and can handle overloaded work.
Avoiding cheap routers, having a fast net connection, and using ethernet cable on desktops and laptops can boost up your net speed.
I hope this article helps you a lot for a better understanding of how CPU affects internet speed in your system. If you failed to understand any topic or want to suggest anything just let me know in the comment section.