Fix: Middle mouse button not working in Windows 10
Are you unable to scroll up and down using your Mouse wheel?
Don’t worry. I have been there too.
Feel lucky because:
This problem can be fixed very easily just by changing some settings.
In this Post you will get to about how to fix Middle mouse button not working in Windows 10
This post is also applicable for windows 7 and 8 users.
Why is My Middle Mouse Button Not Working?
Although the reason may vary but most of the time your middle mouse button does not work for faulty driver/ inappropriate settings.
This problem can be caused by both your hardware and software.
If your mouse is not configured properly or if its driver gets corrupted then the middle button doesn’t work properly.
Sometimes disabling the mouse acceleration feature fixes the problem completely.
I have also found out that damaged USB port can also cause this problem as well.
So, I’ll highly recommend you to switch between the USB ports for the mouse. Unplugging and plugging the mouse also fixes this issue sometimes.
If these little tips didn’t help you then the next steps are for you.
Mouse Button Problems and Their Fixes
|Auto Double clicks||Change Mouse settings|
|Middle button not working||Modify Registry & Update Mouse Driver|
|Forward and back button got reversed||Install appropriate drivers|
|Dpi button of gaming mouse not working||Install the specific utility app by downloading it from the official website|
Easiest Fixes for Middle Mouse Button Not Working
I have given 4 fixes below for fixing this issue.
The most working steps are given at the top for your ease.
Go through them very carefully to fix this issue permanently.
So, here are necessary the steps to fix Middle mouse button not working in Windows 10:
Step-1: Modify Registry settings of Your Mouse
Inappropriate registry of your mouse can often give you troublesome like this one.
Here’ how to fix this problem:
- Search for Run and type in “regedit” and hit Enter.
- Now, a new window of registry editor will appear where you will have to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
- In the right side panel you will find WheelScrollLines.
- Right click on it and select Modify.
- Now, put “3” in the second box below Value data and hit Enter.
Now restart your computer and check if the problem is fixed or not.
If you still face the problem then the next few steps are for you.
Step-2: Update Mouse Driver
This is a very easy process. Here’s how to do it:
- Search for Device Manager and select Mice and other Pointing Devices.
- Now you will see one or multiple devices. Be sure to update them all.
- To update them right click on them and select Update driver.
- When a new window will appear choose Search automatically for updated driver software.
After all updates are done restart your Pc and check your mouse.
ProTip: Also check out how to aim better by disabling it's Mouse acceleration.
Step-3: Use Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
Here are the steps for this process:
- At first open settings of windows.
- Then go to Updates and Security >Troubleshoot
- Now, click on Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and run it.
- After the process is complete give your computer a fresh restart and it should be fixed completely.
Step-4: Change Mouse settings
This process is also helpful for fixing double click error of mouse.
This is a 3 steps process. But go through them very carefully to make it work perfectly.
So, here are the steps:
- Firstly search for Change your mouse settings and then open Additional Mouse options below Related settings.
- Now, go to Wheel tab and then enable “The following m=number of lines at a time” and put the value “3” in both the boxes below.
- Then click on Apply and click OK to continue.
How to Check if the Middle Button of Your Mouse is Damaged or Not?
The simplest way to check if the Middle button of your mouse is damaged is by connecting the mouse to another computer.
If it works fine then no worries. It’s fine.
You can easily know that it’s a software related problem.
And if the middle button still doesn’t work on the other computer then be sure that it’s damaged somehow.
If you are using a good mouse from a trustworthy company then they might have provided warranty with it.
You can check for warranty card within the papers provided along with the mouse.
If you still have warranty then, don’t wait. Claim your warranty and hopefully they will fix it.
Some providers also replace the old one completely by giving you a new product of the same model.
I have found this benefit from buying cooler master’s products.
Middle button of the your mouse is obviously an essential key for using computer.
We can’t even think of using a PC with a problem like this.
Hoping that, this post was helped you somehow. Let us know in the comment section if it saved your life.