Choosing the best cloud storage service is crucial for storing your file securely. However, the choice solely depends on what you want from your service provider.
Do you want simple cloud document storage? Or do you emphasize cloud management services more? Or do you just need as much storage as possible without spending money?
Well, whichever your need is, Google One and iCloud fulfill it better than any other cloud service company.
But which one is better for you? Read this post to find out.
Overview of Google One and iCloud
Both Apple and Google offer secure, easy-to-use cloud storage to keep your email, documents, photos, etc., safe and obtainable whenever you want.
The fun fact is you may have both Google One And iCloud access because they are built-in with many devices we use daily. If you use any Google product or have a Gmail account, you automatically get access to the free version of Google One, known as Google Drive. The free version gives you 15 GB of usable space.
The same goes for iCloud also. All users in the Apple ecosystem have free 5 GB iCloud access.
Though Google One and iCloud provide cloud storage, each has its personality, merits, and demerits. Knowing them will help you to choose the best product according to your needs.
Here are the strengths and weaknesses of iCloud and Google One:
- You get huge storage space for your document, media, and other files for a lower price.
- The sharing process is relatively easy in the Google ecosystem.
- It has Centralized Google product access. All the Google products, like google photos, Gmail, Google Docs, etc., use the same storage of Google One (Google Drive).
- It has an automated backup system for Android phones.
- Google One uses the Advanced Encryption Standard(AES) algorithm, one of the best encryption.
- You can’t assign storage limits for your family members.
- It has a file size limit for each file.
- Google One doesn’t provide end-to-end inception.
- You can easily see all your Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, and Mac) together and access the exact content across these devices simultaneously.
- It provides end-to-end 128-bit AES standard data encryption making your data more secure.
- iCloud premium subscription has attractive features like hide email, custom email domains, and HomeKit Protected Video integration.
- It easily integrates with any Apple device.
- It costs more.
- You may face problems using iCloud on non-apple devices.
- Hard to access.
As you can see, both cloud storage has some unique parks and disadvantages. However, each app provides the best subscriptions for its users.
Which Cloud Service is Better: Google One or iCloud?
Google One and iCloud are both cloud storage services of two tech giants, Google and Apple. While they serve similar purposes of providing online storage for your files, both apps have their own personality.
I’ve compared a few key areas of Google One and iCloud to determine the better cloud storage service.
|Comparison Areas||iCloud||Google One |
|Free Space||iCloud gives 5 GB of storage for free.||Google One gives 15 GB of storage for free.||Google One Wins|
|Multiple account accessibility||Switching between iCloud accounts is much harder.||Google One lets you easily log in to several accounts on the same device and swap between them.||Google One Wins|
|Security||iCloud has end-to-end 128-bit AES standard encryption for your files.||Google One also has Advanced Encryption Standard(AES) but doesn't provide end-to-end encryption.||iCloud Wins|
|macOS Integration||iCloud Drive naturally integrates with macOS.||Though Google One offers Mac integration through the app, it doesn't work as well as iCloud.||iCloud Wins|
|Android Integration||Using iCloud on an Android phone isn't a good experience.||The service of Google One on Android Phones is as smooth as butter.||Google One Wins|
|Upload performance||Faster.||Slower than iCloud (for a tiny amount of users).||iCloud Wins|
|Pricing||● 50 gigabytes @$0.99 per month.|
● 200 gigabytes @ $2.99 per month.
● 2 terabytes @$9.99 per month.
|● 100 gigabytes @$0.99 per month.|
● 200 gigabytes @ $2.99 per month.
● 2 terabytes @$9.99 per month.
(The first month is free on all Google One packages)
|Google One Wins|
|Additional features||● iCloud Private Relay.|
● HomeKit Secure.
● Custom Email Domain and Hide My Email.
|● Google experts.|
● Family Sharing.
● New Google photo editing features.
|Who Wins? You Decide|
Ultimately, the choice between Google One and iCloud depends on your specific needs and preferences. Both applications have some unique features for their users.
Here are the 4 unique characteristics of iCloud and Google One:
- Google One, previously named Paid Google Drive Storage, launched in August 2018. On the other hand, Apple introduced iCloud in October 2011, which was a game changer during that time.
- iCloud gives you 5 GB of storage for free, but Google One (Google Drive) gives you 15 GB.
- Google One subscription starts at 100 gigabytes @$1.99/month and goes up to 30 TB, while iCloud starts at 50 gigabytes @$0.99/month and goes up to 4 terabytes.
- iCloud has about 850 million users, whereas Google Drive (google one) hit 1 billion users in July 2018.
Google One is very easy to use, and you can quickly switch between multiple accounts. Also, sharing the space of Google One between family members is much more straightforward.
However, if you primarily use Apple devices or need user-to-user encryption, iCloud may be the better choice. And bringing this up…
Verdict: iCloud Vs. Google One
Google One and iCloud are both great cloud service providers with unique parks. But get Google One if you need relatively cheap, easy-to-use, and quick family-sharing options. Also, it works well on Apple devices.
Otherwise, iCloud may be the better choice if you primarily use Apple devices like a Mac, iPad, or iPhone or want an extra layer of user protection.
But if you ask me, well, I got both. If you’re capable enough, you shouldn’t rely on a single cloud storage service because none iCloud nor Google One is a perfect app. Making a hybrid cloud ecosystem using both iCloud and Google One will serve you much better as you can enjoy both advantages.
Which premium cloud service did you ultimately choose? Let me know in the comment section.
Is iCloud and Google One the same?
No, iCloud and Google One are online cloud storage services with similar features but are owned by different companies. The developer of iCloud is Apple, Inc, but Google and OEMs develop Google One.
Is Google One useful for the iPhone?
Yes, Google One is very helpful for iPhones. You can easily sync your iPhone data in Google One without any hassle. Just download the app, grant the necessary permission, and Google One will start syncing your data.
Is Google One storage safer than iCloud?
No, in terms of security, iCloud is much safer than Google One because you get end-to-end 128-bit AES standard encryption. But Google One doesn’t provide end-to-end data encryption.